Which is correct?

JOSE   Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:34 pm GMT
I go there, right?

I go there, don't I?

I go there, no?
Jim   Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:20 pm GMT
The first is common enough. The second is common also but a little more formal. The third is uncommon, it doesn't sound too wrong, it would be perfectly understood but might add a touch of non-nativishness to your speech - if that's what you're after, by all means use it.
Mirror   Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:48 pm GMT
I go there, right?
Sounds like playing chess and you don't know the rules so you're asking if you could make such move. Or playing some sports and don't know where you should be, then you'll ask "I go there, right?" Questioning if it is correct.

I go there, don't I?
You have amnesia. You forgot what you have just done. It's a Question Tag. Since "go" is an action verb, the tag will be "don't" instead. "She is beautiful, isn't she?" "is" is a linking verb, the tag use it's negative form directly. Another action verb question tag : "I sing well, don't I?"

I go there, no?
When you're making a move and you are not sure. When you stating that you are going there, you saw a discontented look of someone's face, so you ask "no?" at the end. It could also be : "I go there. No?"
furrykef   Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:37 pm GMT
<< I go there, no?
When you're making a move and you are not sure. When you stating that you are going there, you saw a discontented look of someone's face, so you ask "no?" at the end. It could also be : "I go there. No?" >>

"I go there, no?" and "I go there. No?" are two very different things. Only the second one would have that interpretation.

I do sometimes use "no" in this way (as in "I go there, no?"), but it does have a touch of foreignness to it. But sometimes natives adopt foreign usages. For instance, the phrase "long time no see" was originally a non-native phrase used by Chinese speakers of English, but it's now very common to hear native speakers use it, and they may even be unaware of its foreign origin.

To me, this "no?" construction sounds particularly French when used in English, although Spanish has exactly the same construction. That probably has more to do with stereotypes than anything, but it's nonetheless how I perceive it.

I think it's OK to use now and then, just for variety, but if you overuse it, it will sound odd. But I think the occasional use has a certain charm to it, whether used by a native or non-native speaker.

- Kef
furrykef   Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:39 pm GMT
That's funny, just after I posted that, I see that Mirror used "long time no see" in another thread: http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t8319.htm