"bored with" or "bored of"

Jim H.   Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:12 pm GMT
Which do you use?

I prefer "bored with" to "bored of," and by quite a margin. The second sounds like it was formed by analogy with "tired of."

To me, "tired of" does imply a significant element of boredom. Being tired of something, or tired of doing something, is more an attitude than a state of fatigue. Being tired from working all day is one thing, being tired of working is quite another. It means you're fed up with it, don't want to do it any more-- and in most cases drudgery and tedium (which are boring) is more likely to be the cause than physical difficulty, which tires you, makes you tired.

Bored is a word that carries a whole lot more attitude than tired of, and to AE ears the very use of it can sound a little whiny, spoiled, old-world and upper-class. I'm talking about lost-generation types in old movies who troop wearily around Paris in the Roaring Twenties and can never think of anything worth doing-- people who'd be just as comfortable saying ennuyé.

Like I say, that's very much on the edge of my vocabulary-- I hope I spelled it right.

It occurs to me, with all these auditory images echoing in my head, that theres a similar connotational difference between tiring and tiresome. The first means physically taxing, and the second-- well, it's that complaining attitudinous thing again, meaning it's boring, I'm tired of it, it's beneath me.
Guest   Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:02 am GMT
I'd day:

common -- "bored with", "tired of"

less common -- "bored of"

rare -- "tired with"