Sentence Problems

fungi   Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:54 am GMT
1. The council envisioned a service department that _____ well-trained technicians and high mechanical services.
(A) offer
(B) offering
(C) has offered
(D) would offer

2. Examining the available figures, it is clear that more families_____in community programs than ever before.
(A) were participated
(B) are to be participating
(C) have been participating
(D) will have been participating

My English teacher said D can't be the answer for question 1. I can't agree with his reasoning for why it's wrong.
She also said B or D can't be the answer for question 2. Her reasoning doesn't make sense.
I asked about these to my native English friends. Even they got those wrong.
Why are the answers what they are?

Plz give me a good explanation.
Skippy   Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:13 am GMT
Your teacher sounds like an idiot. I'd say D for number 1 and C for number 2. You can tell her some guy you know online named Skippy called her an idiot. lol
furrykef   Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:54 am GMT
What was your teacher's reasoning for these answers?
fungi   Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:13 pm GMT
furrykef, her reasoning was so confusing that I don't even remember what it was.

Josh Lanlonde, yes, my teacher is a native English speaker. But I'm not really sure. At least she is a European and doesn't have any accent.

Skippy, lol..
fungi   Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:17 pm GMT
For question 2, Josh Lalonde said D is right and Skippy said C is right. I don't think D is right.
Guest   Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:00 am GMT
I though both of them agreed:

1. (D)
2. (C)

I suppose 2. could be either (C) or (D), depending on the meaning, but much more likely (C).
RalphZ   Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:58 am GMT
for the sentence 1, if the end of this sentence were not a full stop, then B could be a answer.

because after "that" the rest of the sentence could be a subordinate clause of the "service department", which in the mind of city council.

try to compare with this sentence

If I was you in a service department that offering cash to others without even a sign, I would steel all of them.

in this situation the answer B is more likely correct for the sentence.

my opinion... and you guys have already known im not a native boring kind of native speaker,sooooooooo if I am wrong plz don't kick my ass.