Is number of speakers really so important?

mac   Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:21 pm GMT
Oh, and answering the topic question. I think the number of speakers is very important but you also have to consider how widely it is spread, economics and political/cultural influence. All these things factor in.
Ornella   Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:34 pm GMT
There are 31 countries or territories where is first language (the most spoken language) or official:

North America: Mexico, New Mexico

Central America: Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Belize, Panama, Costa Rica and El Salvador

Caribbean Area: Cuba, Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic

Europe: Spain and Andorra

Africa: Ceuta, Canary islands, Melilla, Equatorial Guinea

South America: Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile

Asia-Pacific: Eastern island, Galapagos islands

Antarctica: Argentinian Antartactica and Chilean Antarctica
Informateur   Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:34 pm GMT
Yes, indeed number of speakers native, secondary and foreign speakers. Just sum upthese three and there you have it.

I,m sure that a language will be never be important if it's not spoken in many areas around the world.
Guest   Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:28 pm GMT
<<Or Chinese? It has the huge number of speakers, but I don't think its that important to learn unless you go to China.>>

Currently, perhaps. If all goes well in China, by the middle of the century China will be the only country of importance on Earth, economically, culturally, and militarily. The big majority of scientific and technical advance will probably come out of China by that time. The world will basically belong to them.

Knowledge of Chinese will be essential for all educated people, assuming that China allows other cultures and populations to survive.

(Let's hope I'm wrong.)
Guest   Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:41 pm GMT
<< Currently, perhaps. If all goes well in China, by the middle of the century China will be the only country of importance on Earth, economically, culturally, and militarily. The big majority of scientific and technical advance will probably come out of China by that time. The world will basically belong to them.

Knowledge of Chinese will be essential for all educated people, assuming that China allows other cultures and populations to survive. >>

I don't think so, China's technology is 40 years behind the advanced nations. The reason China's economy is booming is because of huge foreign investments from rich and industrialized countries that supply the technology and knowhow.

The labor in China and India are so cheap that's the main reason why most productions are being set up there. Let those investments be pulled out and see what will happen to China. Chaos.

So don't be so sure. The economic boom of China and India still lie on the hands of Western and Japanese investors.

Evan if China becomes number 1 in economy nobody especially from the west would study Chinese. That's the reason why lot's of Chinese are studying English nowadays. There are even predicotions that China's English speakers will outstripped that of India's.
mac   Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:23 am GMT
<< Currently, perhaps. If all goes well in China, by the middle of the century China will be the only country of importance on Earth, economically, culturally, and militarily. The big majority of scientific and technical advance will probably come out of China by that time. The world will basically belong to them.

Knowledge of Chinese will be essential for all educated people, assuming that China allows other cultures and populations to survive. >>

Ha! Give me a break. Talk about over-hyped people making a lot of assumptions. Unless you're joking (allow others to surive)?
Yes, China will grow and probably become more important, but China will never be the ONLY important country on Earth. You would have to assume that all other currently powerful countries (US, EU, Russia, Japan) as well as those coming up (India, Brazil), would stop progressing, break down, and let China own the world. Yeah right. Are you a Chinese ultra-nationalist or something?