How to address the question tag after gotta

Cleveland   Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:24 pm GMT
we say
you are not a Chinese are you?

you like him don't you?

you must eat this to get cure mustn't you?

but how about gotta?

you gotta go to save her right now, " "

haven't you? don't you?

whadda you think?
Cleveland   Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:03 am GMT
once my tutor asked me "you told me youd like to go and have your placement, but I think for this placement you must finish your courses first, mustn't you?"

I think mustn't it's OK just not very common.
Cleveland   Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:06 am GMT
and for your answer, shouldn't it have been "you gotta go to save her"? but your sentence was "you gotta go save her" is save a special word just like home? normally we don't put to in front of home.
Cleveland   Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:24 am GMT
Really?
But see this sentence "How help her" "I want to go help her" "I would like to have a gun shot him"

I think they should be "How to help her" "I want to go to help her" and "I would like to have gun to shot him"

Am I wrong? If I am wrong it means Iv been wrong all the time.
Cleveland   Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:27 am GMT
I always add a to before I use them, except sometimes I have to use ing, like "Stop doing that" "where are you fancy going"
Guest   Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:03 am GMT
<<It's after 'to go' that you don't use 'to' with another infinitive.>>

I've got to go to study.
furrykef   Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:03 am GMT
I'd just say "I've got to go study."
davidab   Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:12 am GMT
<you must eat this to get cure mustn't you? >

<I would just say 'right': "You gotta go save her, right?". Also, I don't use "musn't", and I don't think it's very common in North America.>

If you don't use 'mustn't' to form a tag question for a sentence with 'must' what do you use?

You can... can't you
You should ... shouldn't you
you will ....won't you
you shall ....shan't you
davidab   Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:27 am GMT
'I've got to go to study' sounds awkward to me as well. But instead of saying 'I've got to go study.' I say 'I've got to go and study.'
K. T.   Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:58 am GMT
You must eat this to be cured/get cured.

You must eat this in order to be cured.
M56   Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:02 am GMT
<but how about gotta?

you gotta go to save her right now, " "

haven't you? don't you? >

Yes. Even though "have" is ellipted, you still use it (in negative or postive)in the tag.
beneficii   Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:46 pm GMT
Cleveland,

You're jacking up the grammar. Just stop producing output right now, and start getting some more input again.
Gwest   Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:16 am GMT
<I disagree. "You gotta go save her right now, haven't you?" Sounds *extremely* awkward to me. I would rather use "don't you".>

To me, that sounds odd. I speak British English.

<I don't really use 'must' in speech; I use 'have to'. "You have to"..."don't you?" >

Do you use "don't you" for every tag situatiion? Why don't you use "haven't you"?
Guest   Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:14 am GMT
<You're jacking up the grammar. Just stop producing output right now, and start getting some more input again. >

What do you mean?
Guest   Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:15 pm GMT
<You're jacking up the grammar. Just stop producing output right now, and start getting some more input again. >

He's the Grammar Nazi.