Are you a hyperwhite?

Travis   Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:47 pm GMT
>>"Related to the phonological formality of nerdy speech is its lexical formality.
Nerds often chose formal-register polysyllabic variants of Greco-Latinate
origin over more colloquial Germanic monosyllables, a longstanding
stylistic distinction based on ideologies in the history of the English language.
But where in Standard English these lexical items are associated with
different registers, in superstandard English they were used across registers.
Such lexical items therefore had the indexical effect of making speakers
sound smart or learned."<<

No, I do not think that *at all*. Actually, I really do not speak much like I write except in cases where features of my dialect leak through into my writing. The matter, though, is that when writing in forums I tend to prefer to use relatively formal writing, albeit with allowances for some standardized contractions. I view it as being on par with content in things like weblogs, which are commonly written relatively formally if you exclude the likes of MySpace, Facebook, and LiveJournal. This is different from how I write in, say, IRC channels, where I am much more informal overall. And even that is a good bit more formal than my actual everyday speech.

I did talk like that, a long time ago, though. That was before I realized that it made me sound like an ass and that I was better off speaking far more informally. These days I almost tend to favor the opposite extreme in everyday speech, even though I tend to not use a whole lot of slang that is not specific to computing.
Travis   Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:49 pm GMT
Whoops, my quote above was supposed to also include:

>>To me, this part of the article relates to discussions with Travis, who seems to feel that we should use the same formal language across all registers and with all listeners.<<
Franco   Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 am GMT
So you trying to say, that so-called 'hyperwhite' is just INTELLIGENT English, and not colloquial? Of course, nerds are more intelligent, so they use intelligent words. Why is it surprising?
Guest   Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:55 am GMT
<I view it as being on par with content in things like weblogs,>

Reagarding register, many others do not see it that way. Your writing stands out, more than that of many other posters here, as formal. So, why do you choose to write in a formal way when most folks here use a semi-formal to informal approach. Do you wish to set a standard for us all to follow?
Gwest   Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:57 am GMT
<Of course, nerds are more intelligent, so they use intelligent words. >

How can a word be intelligent? Can you give some examples of such words?
Franco   Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:45 am GMT
I hope it's sarcasm you're displaying. I mean, the type of word which is considered intelectual.

eg. saying 'effervescent' and not 'bubbling', or 'flatulence' instead of 'fart'.
Gwest   Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:04 am GMT
<I hope it's sarcasm you're displaying. I mean, the type of word which is considered intelectual. >

Ah, "intellectual". Not the same as "intelligent".

So, you meant to say this, right?

<<Of course, nerds are more intelligent, so they use intellectual words. >
Guest   Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:08 am GMT
Hey, Josh! Where are the trolls? I thought you said they be all over this thread.
Franco   Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:03 am GMT
I'm a troll, but I only simply look in here, by chance. It looks too an intellectual discussion. But it's not actually, because the topic is really stupid! Of course INTELIGENT people use INTELLECTUAL words! It's so simple!

Just the same, stupids use ugly, simple words. What a surprise!
Guest   Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:26 am GMT
<Of course INTELIGENT people use INTELLECTUAL words! It's so simple!

Just the same, stupids use ugly, simple words. What a surprise! >

Which group are you in?
M56   Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:43 am GMT
<It looks too an intellectual discussion. But it's not actually, >

Not intellectual, no, but a complex discussion. Many smart kids decide to use non-intellectual words in order to fit in with the in-crowd. That seems like an intelligent decision, IMO. In other words, Franco, it's not as simple as you would like it to be.
Franco   Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:29 am GMT
I am so inteligent, that simple for me is impossible for others, and difficult for even computers.
Guest   Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:44 am GMT
<I am so inteligent, that simple for me is impossible for others, and difficult for even computers. >

How do others spell "inteligent"?

;-)))
M56   Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:10 pm GMT
See this page:

Indeed, “hyperwhite” works as a description for nearly everything we intuitively associate with nerds …

By cultivating an identity perceived as white to the point of excess, nerds deny themselves the aura of normality that is usually one of the perks of being white. Bucholtz sees something to admire here. In declining to appropriate African-American youth culture, thereby “refusing to exercise the racial privilege upon which white youth cultures are founded,” she writes, nerds may even be viewed as “traitors to whiteness.” You might say they know that a culture based on theft is a culture not worth having.

http://www.proteinwisdom.com/?p=9530