I'm afraid... Please help me...

Seljuk   Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:58 am GMT
Hello everybody. This year I've won the examination of Istanbul University for the department of English language and literature. But I'm so nervous and afraid of English literature. It is so rich really and I even don't know my own literature Ottoman and Turkish ones. So how come I'll learn English literature, the language isn't such a big problem but when it comes to literature, it is maddening... Help and tell me that English literature is much fun and I'll enjoy it much. Actually I'm happy because I'll have much idea about English literature and culture when I've grduated but I personally can't help thinking English literature will drive me mad... Help please... Moralize me ;)
Rick   Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:14 am GMT
Do you have any idea what your reading list will be? I did English Literature at University and loved it, even though i failed the first year miserably before i switched courses. ;)
Rick   Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:16 am GMT
Congratulations, by the way. :)
Seljuk   Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:23 am GMT
No, I have no idea really. And I wonder it very much :) Two days ago, I saw a movie of "Moby Dick". I know it is a part of English literature, I tried much to endure watching it, but I couldn't really. It is so hard for me to endure literature, I couldn't even watch it for 5 minutes :) I'm really nervous. Can you guess what my reading list will be? Maybe ours will be the same as yours. No matter how Turkish grammar is against English, and Indo-European languages, the language isn't a big problem but we Turkish people face the same problem as Japanese peoples do :) as our languages come from the same language family Ural-Altaic. But, really the language has no difficulty when placed near literature...
Seljuk   Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:24 am GMT
Thank you, by the way. ;)
Mirror   Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:27 pm GMT
I don't know about your particular exam and how your English literature course is like. But I can give you a few suggestions.
Try to find something that relates to your reading and read it before you get into the real thing. Like critics or writings explaining humanity or some other issues arose from the story. You can also find the history background or the story or something about the author. If nothing interests you, choose another book!