Seeking for opinion on languages

mac   Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:46 am GMT
<< Right now I'm inclined between German and Turkish, one being very useful and having large resources and the other being rare but important. >>

The only down side I see is that a lot of people in these countries already speak English as you do. I believe it is taught from early school years. If you deal with people from these countries in any international setting, they will first be inclined to use English.

I think if you could speak Portuguese, English and Spanish or French or Arabic or Chinese, you would have a lot more opportunities compared to that with Turkish and German.

Good luck. Buena suerte.
Xie Z.A.   Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:17 am GMT
You can find some Esperanto communities in China, but not many. AFAIK, Esperanto is taught as an elective subject in some universities, esp. those that specialize in languages. You would probably find most of them are in the northern part of the country.

Almost every Chinese university teaches English. English is now a mandatory subject in higher classes of elementary schools and is necessary for university entrance.

Esperanto is almost unknown in Hong Kong and Macau.

I don't see the Chinese government(s) are doing anything notable about Esperanto. Yet, I suspect China (PR) is one of the few countries where Esperanto learners who don't speak an IE language natively (but Chinese) can be found.
Guest   Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:34 am GMT
Italian, French and Spanish are beautiful but they are the hardest to learn