what's the difference between liberty and freedom?

nick   Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:45 pm GMT
I kind of confused with these two words, I think they have the same meaning, but sometimes it occur at one sentence.
Guest   Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:50 pm GMT
they are words that have different origins but came to mean the same thing. you can read more about it here
http://www.lewrockwell.com/stromberg/stromberg14.html
OBruadair   Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:00 pm GMT
Freedom would be my right to take my neighbor’s property. Liberty would be his right to shoot me if I did.

Kris Kristofferson said “Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose” Ain’t never heard anybody say that about liberty.
Skippy   Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:05 am GMT
When I think of "freedom" I think of individual "liberties" like freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, etc... While "liberty" is a more general term that encompasses all that... But, as above, when I used "liberties" in that context, I think it means basically the same thing.... Americans like to talk about freedom and liberty a lot, so to keep it interesting we switch up the vocabulary :-P
Guest   Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:09 am GMT
Isn't "liberty" just a fancier term for "freedom"?
Lee Miro   Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:22 pm GMT
I *think* the distinction is that liberty is a social condition, where freedom has more broad usage. "Freedom" is the state in which we naturally exist without restrictions. "Liberty" is the condition of being we get when we reserve those natural freedoms. So a hermit on Antartica may live in a state of absolute freedom, but he doesn't live in liberty. Liberty implies that there is a relationship (usually between a citizen and his state) where one party COULD make restrictions on natural rights and doesn't.
Guest   Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:32 pm GMT
Why not say: Liberty is another way of saying "freedom" by Americans. They are the only people on the earth who use that word a lot. It is not used frequently elsewhere.
Guest   Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:14 pm GMT
the english word is freedom. liberty is just the englicized french word for "freedom", liberté.
OBruadair   Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:16 am GMT
Guess this can be argued till the cows come home but to me the two words just ain’t the same. Freedom implies unfettered license to what you want. Liberty implies natural, God given rights. Freedom can be rightfully limited by democratic social contract (just law). Liberty can’t. Liberty is civilized freedom and means life. Uncivilized freedom is death.