"I could care less"

Jarred   Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:13 pm GMT
What's with "I could care less"? Shouldn't it be "I couldn't care less" as afterall, if you could care less that means you actually care some.
Jasper   Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:41 pm GMT
Jarred, you are correct. "I could care less" has annoyed me for years; it's grammatically incorrect.

I also get annoyed at the word "irregardless". Grrr!
Liz   Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:57 pm GMT
<<Jarred, you are correct. "I could care less" has annoyed me for years; it's grammatically incorrect.>>

No, it's perfectly correct gramatically, but it doesn't express the same meaning as "I couldn't care less" unless it is used ironically. If you want to define it in terms of "correctness", well, it's *semantically* incorrect.
Bubbanator   Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:58 am GMT
I'm with the "...couldn't care less" camp. That's how I've always heard it growing up and that's how I've always said it myself. Using "irregardless" should be made a capital offense in my opinion, along with "continue on".
descriptivist   Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:40 am GMT
I'm in the camp that claims "I could care less" usually means the same thing as "I couldn't care less". I suppose this is just an idiom or semantic irregularity, that's now part of (informal) English.

I also have no objection to things like "irregardless", "continue on", "mentee", "dove" (past tense of "dive"), "gotten", "ain't", the singular "they", use of "more clear" rather than "clearer", etc.
Guest   Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:52 pm GMT
I could care less = Like I care
Skippy   Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:31 pm GMT
Yeah, I say "I could care less," and most of my peers do as well... I also use "dove" for the past tense of dive (dived sounds weird to me), gotten, the singular "they," and "ain't" if I'm trying to annoy my exgirlfriend from SoCal :-)