Verb tense problem 3

Laticia   Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:35 pm GMT
Native speakers,
please help me with this problem here. Thanks in advance.

SITUATION:
I have not seen my friend, Gary for 2 years. Today as I am walking down the street, I meet Gary by chance. And then I say something to him.

QUESTION:
Which of this phrase (or phrases) that I might say to Gary is grammatically correct for this situation with relation to time?

1) “I have not seen you in a while”

2) “I had not seen you in a while”

3) “I did not see you in a while”

(or any other better or possible phrases?)
Jim   Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:53 pm GMT
1)
Laticia   Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:37 pm GMT
But if I say “I have not seen you in a while” to Gary AFTER I SAW him on the street, wouldn't that be incorrect? Because I HAVE ACTUALLY SEEN HIM although in a short moment BEFORE I say “I have not seen you in a while” to him. So wouldn't the phrase “I did not see you in a while” be better?

Please explain this. Thanks.
Laticia   Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:16 pm GMT
This is what I really meant:

I haven't seen Gary in two years. Then we run into other on the street. And then we start to talk.

If I say "I haven't seen you in a while" to him, wouldn't that be strange because I have actually seen him on the street prior to me saying that sentence. ??
Guest   Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:52 pm GMT
<<If I say "I haven't seen you in a while" to him, wouldn't that be strange because I have actually seen him on the street prior to me saying that sentence. ?? >>

I suppose you could say something like: "Up until two seconds ago, I hadn't seen you in two years.", but this would sound strange.

In reality, I'd probably say something like: 'Hey! -- what'cha been up t' lately -- haven't seen ya in a couple o' years.
Guest   Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:17 pm GMT
Number 1, with "haven't".
M56   Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:33 pm GMT
<If I say "I haven't seen you in a while" to him, wouldn't that be strange because I have actually seen him on the street prior to me saying that sentence. ?? >

Even in the middle of the conversation, you can still use the present perfect because you are referring to the time between your last meeting and the beginning of the present one.
K. T.   Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:37 pm GMT
That's right. Think of it as "PRESENT" perfect.
Mirror   Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:25 pm GMT
You are thinking too much, Laticia. You're "not seeing him in a while" is still effective when you say the sentence. Think of it this way "I have not seen you for two years." or "We have not been seeing each other for two years." Would that make it better for you? How about just "long time no see"?