Stop signs.

Rodrigo   Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:48 pm GMT
After travelling to Europe and Canada I found it was very interesting that all of Europe uses STOP but in Québec the signs read ARRÊT so I was wondering how is it written in other French speaking countries. If you know anything about an especific country/language I'd greatlt appreciate it if you write it in the discussion. Thanks for the answers!
Guest   Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:00 pm GMT
ARRÊT can be seen only in French Canada.

In France, Belgium, and Switzerland, you will more likely to see STOP.
Guest   Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:01 pm GMT
In Mexico they'll say "ALTO", in Colombia "PARE", i don't know about other countries though.
Guest   Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:32 pm GMT
I'm surprised that they don't use some sort of international "stop" symbol for STOP signs in Europe.

I wonder what STOP signs look like in China, Japan, or the Middle East -- surely they don't use English?
Guest   Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:40 pm GMT
They use English in China
Guest   Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:41 pm GMT
... I don't think so
furrykef   Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:05 pm GMT
<< I wonder what STOP signs look like in China, Japan, or the Middle East -- surely they don't use English? >>

Answers to all those and more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_sign#Sign_variants
Guest   Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:39 pm GMT
<<Answers to all those and more here>>

Wikipedia sure has a lot of coverage -- who'd 've thought they'd have articles on something as mundane as stop signs.

BTW, I remember seeing yellow STOP signs as late as 1973 on private property at the Homestake gold mine in Lead, SD (US).
Rodrigo   Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:33 pm GMT
Thanks for all the answers and the link. I was also wondering about African Francophone countries.
K. T.   Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:44 am GMT
Thanks for sharing, furrykef. It's easy to understand the Chinese sign even though they use another character.

Question: (Maybe Josh can answer this.) What's that script below the sign in Arabic (it looks a little like Greek)? Thanks.
K. T.   Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:06 am GMT
Thanks, Josh. So, that stop sign is probably in North Africa. Berbers say they come from Phoenicians (and they came from Greece, I think), so it makes sense.
K. T.   Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:09 am GMT
Ah, I just looked at your link. Sure enough, the sign is in Morocco.