What does "twat" really mean?

RalphZ   Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:20 pm GMT
im wondering that does "twat" really mean something or it's just a emotional swear? sometimes I hear it from English but I don't really know what does that refer to?
Oy.   Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:41 pm GMT
It has several meanings:

twat (VAGINA)
noun [C] OFFENSIVE
the outer female sex organ; the vagina

twat (PERSON)
noun [C] UK OFFENSIVE
a stupid or unpleasant person

Apart from those dictionary definitions, where i live someone may "twat" someone, meaning to hit them. It's really quite a vulgar word though.
mergers n acquisitions   Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:17 pm GMT
It's a crude name for vagina. Though it's used to characterize someone as bitchy, stupid, whiny.

That guy/gal is a 'twat.'

Never heard twat is reference to hitting someone though...
Oy.   Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:09 pm GMT
I've often heard it on Friday/Saturday nights out in Whitehaven, Workington, and Carlisle. Also, wikipedia has "twat" down as Cumbrian dialect for "hit," and that's where i live, so perhaps it's just one of our very own vulgarities.
Pub Lunch   Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:52 am GMT
I live in the South East but I have definitely heard "twat" used to mean "to hit someone" but I think that may be from the telly.

Twat generally means your a wally in these parts (blimey!!! who remembers wallys??? aren't they called "Gherkins" these days?? Sod it, I'm going to nip down to the chippie at lunch and order a wally - wonder how it will go? That's a bit sad really isn't it - ok maybe I won't).