Gung ho

Guest   Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:33 pm GMT
What does "Gung ho" mean? Someone wrote an email to me today which said "Bush is so gung ho regarding Iraq!"
Oy.   Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:50 pm GMT
Enthusiastic. It often implies doing something with lack of care, too.
Guest   Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:26 am GMT
And It is not an English word by origin. It is borrowed from Japanese language if my memory serves me right.
Native Korean   Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:37 am GMT
Gung ho is originated from Chinese word "工和".

It literally means work together.
Guest   Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:53 am GMT
<It literally means work together. >

Does it mean that in the thread statement above?
Native Koran   Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:31 pm GMT
<Does it mean that in the thread statement above?>
Sorry, I don't get what you mean.

Anyway, Gung(工) means 'work'.
Ho(和) means 'together, harmony or peace'.

In Japanese, 工和 is pronounced like 'go-wa'
In Korean, 工和 is pronounced like 'gong-hwa'.
Guest   Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:26 pm GMT
<<Does it mean that in the thread statement above?>
Sorry, I don't get what you mean. >

Here...

"Bush is so gung ho regarding Iraq!" Does it mean "work together" there?
furrykef   Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:47 pm GMT
No, it means "enthusiastic", as Oy stated. "Work together" is just the original meaning in Chinese. Here's a definition: http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/gung%20ho

It's very typical for words to change meaning as they enter other languages. For instance, in Spanish (and, according to Wikipedia, also Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Serbian, and Swedish!), the word "smoking" means tuxedo. Now, you might wonder, what on Earth does smoking have to do with a tuxedo? It makes more sense if you know that it came from "smoking jacket", a garment that was popular in Victorian times when smoking a pipe or a cigar, so the smoke won't cling to your other clothes. Somewhere along the line, the garment somehow got confused with a tuxedo, and there you have it.

Japanese is full of English loanwords like that. "Manshon" (from "mansion") means "apartment"... "baikingu" looks and sounds like "biking", but actually comes from "Viking", and the meaning is "smorgasbord", a traditional Swedish buffet.

- Kef
M56   Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:13 pm GMT
<Japanese is full of English loanwords like that. "Manshon" (from "mansion") means "apartment"... "baikingu" looks and sounds like "biking", but actually comes from "Viking", and the meaning is "smorgasbord", a traditional Swedish buffet. >

"Sabiro" is a great example and a has a nice background story to it.