Learning Polish with my 3 year old son

Julie   Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:01 pm GMT
I am hoping to find out if there are any children's learning tools or videos that will help me teach my son and myself Polish.

Thanks!
greg   Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:46 pm GMT
Le polonais est une très belle langue. Je vais me renseigner, Julie, et puis je te dirai si j'ai trouvé quelque chose.

Do widzenia !
Guest   Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:19 pm GMT
greg, is there a language that you don't like, besides English that is?
Caspian   Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:52 pm GMT
Julie
I think that the best way for you both to learn Polish is for you to learn Polish as quickly as you can, and saturate your son in it! If you live near a large library, you should find language courses there, and believe me - they are truly effective. Learn in days, not months!
Once you know quite a bit, saturate your son in it by speaking to him in it as well as English. He will pick it up naturally, not as a second language, but instinctively, as a first like English. You can do things then with him in Polish, like listen to the Radio, talk to him, read - I think that is the best way.
K. T.   Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:44 pm GMT
Caspian,

Days? Which courses are you suggesting?
Caspian   Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:25 pm GMT
Yes, I have found that is is possible to learn in days - although these courses are not available in Polish some others are.
Michel Thomas - that is the key, I think. Grab a Michel Thomas course, and you will be amazed. I got one for Italian, and I knew not a word of Italian, yet after a week I was able to express myself in Italian, and also understand a lot of it. From then, once you have got the foundatins of the language, it is easier to do more advanced courses in the language.

For Polish, I would suggest you look at the "Pimsleur" products - although they are not as effective as Michel Thomas, they're still really good, I use them for my Chinese.

For French, German, Italian and Spanish, if you want to get to a near native level, look at the Michel Thomas courses, without a doubt.
K. T.   Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:34 pm GMT
Hello, Caspian!

I'm familiar with MT and Pimsleur. They both have good points, but they really won't have you speaking much in DAYS.

Since Julie was asking for Polish, like you said, MT won't be much help. Interestingly enough, I think MT was born in Poland, but I've never heard of any Polish courses by him.

I understand that the MT teachers are trying to develop courses based on his method in other languages.
Guest   Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:17 pm GMT
Ma quante cazzate!
K. T.   Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:17 pm GMT
What part, Guest?

It's perfectly clear to me that barring a miracle, no person speaks a language in DAYS. People can learn enough in a month or two to speak tourist or survival level phrases imo. Getting STARTED in a language is not the same thing as speaking the language.

I'm tempted sometimes to do one of those "How to learn any language.com"-like challenges, to see how much I can learn in, let's say, 40 days. It would be interesting if anyone would take up a similar challenge.
Xie   Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:26 am GMT
Well, unfortunately, there aren't many courses for Polish, but I do know that you can learn it well yourself using a few courses BEFORE teaching your son. For example, Assimil doesn't have a Polish course for kids (only English, French, German and so on)...

I don't think kids would understand the instructions of Pimsleur programs. :(
K. T.   Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:21 am GMT
No, they wouldn't. Pimsleur teaches things like "Are you going to drink wine and beer?"

I googled "Polish for kids" and I found something from a company called Eurotalk. I also saw Polish songs, etc.

Have you tried Amazon, Julie?
andrew beasley-murray   Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:41 pm GMT
I would like to do the same... find easy readers.. I mean really easy readers in Polish. I fear the internet is not so clever as we hoped. Or perhaps it's me!
I am going to Poland soon. I will buy first readers there. My Polish teacher tells me of a priest who spent 8 years studying polish before going to Poland as a priest. Another attended primary school in Poland.
My Polish teacher's wife was in England 3 years before being able to make a sentence in English (in her words).
Let's face it. the beauty of Polish is its difficulty. We may find the key to learning about people who do not readily smile to order.
My wife and I would love to live there. Such a lovely country and so full of beautiful Polish people.
Robin   Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:39 pm GMT
Is it true that Polish people do not smile very often?

Why do you think that is?

I have found that Polish people in the UK, are often more friendly than the local people on a 'Sink Estate'.

I was amazed at how unfriendly people were in the Polish countryside.

My experience of Gydnia was very different.

I think that smiling or not smiling depends on how you feel.

Smiling is a good habit to cultivate.

I have heard other people remark on these cultural differences.
K. T.   Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:48 pm GMT
Well, obviously you have not had the experience of a Japanese person tell you with a smile that a loved one has died, nor do I wish this for you.

Smiles are not really universal. Of sure, people smile, but not all smiles denote cheerfulness or happiness.

Do I smile? Of course, but my advice is watch for other clues or ask about cultural cues in language from people who know the culture.
K. T.   Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:50 am GMT
LOL "Of sure"..."Of course" I'm becoming a foreigner...