Lexical Similarities Between Latin & It's Romance Langua

Guest   Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:04 pm GMT
<< <Adolfo,

so that means Sardo is the language that less evolved phonologically, and so the one closest to Latin? >

<Yes, Sardinian is the less evolved romance language. The reason may be the typical isolation of peoples living in islands.> >>

Remember, Mario Pei's comparison on this is regarding divergence of vowel qualities, correct? Then only in *this* particular aspect is Sardinian closest to Latin. (Also, I believe that Sardinian consonants, like Latin hard 'c' before front vowels is preserved. So I would agree, that in 'sounds' Sardinian is least radical.) This does not necessarily prove that Sardinian is most akin to Latin lexically...so don't get too exicted too quickly...
Guest   Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:29 pm GMT
Does the Queen Elizabeth speaks Latin? I would like to speak some Latin with her while we drink some tea.

i am almost sure of that, every well educated person of his generation did
Guest   Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:15 pm GMT
<<<< <Adolfo,

so that means Sardo is the language that less evolved phonologically, and so the one closest to Latin? >

<Yes, Sardinian is the less evolved romance language. The reason may be the typical isolation of peoples living in islands.> >>

Remember, Mario Pei's comparison on this is regarding divergence of vowel qualities, correct? Then only in *this* particular aspect is Sardinian closest to Latin. (Also, I believe that Sardinian consonants, like Latin hard 'c' before front vowels is preserved. So I would agree, that in 'sounds' Sardinian is least radical.) This does not necessarily prove that Sardinian is most akin to Latin lexically...so don't get too exicted too quickly...>>

No one is too excited, like was stated in the first sentence, "is the language that less evolved PHONOLOGICALLY"....
Please read more carefully next time....