Have you used music to help learn a language?

Skippy   Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:30 am GMT
I know there's a topic on music and language learning, but it's gotten way off topic, and I'd like to know how successful ya'll have found using music to help learn a language.

I've found singing along with German bands to be helpful in getting used to the syntax.

So... has it actually helped you or is it just fun to impress your friends with knowledge of foreign bands?
Skippy   Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:45 am GMT
Sorry, I put this in the wrong forum.
Guest   Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:44 am GMT
hmmm, actually it helps with some expressions...

For instance, I always remember Elvis "you were always on my mind", and so I refrain from saying "in my mind".
~Though I guess you can use both, in different situations, right?

It also helps with vocabulary, but only when you have already reached a certain level...
Guest   Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:51 am GMT
oops...
Guest   Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:28 pm GMT
Yup! Very much if a singer has a clear voice. For instance, I found Madaonna's songs quite easy to understand without the help of lyrics. On top of that, her music beats are second to none that compel me to listen to her songs many hundread times on the fly. On the other hand, I hate rap music a lot. In other words, it really depends on the type of singers or music genres they sing in. Not all singers/genres will grab your attention. To be honest, singing slong is not my cup of tea. I find it a chore to do. I listen to music just for relaxation purpose and in the process If I learn a useful expression or phrase then well and good. But the music should not be your main source of learning a language but a small part of it.
Guest   Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:10 pm GMT
I've learned some Italian from Opera, some German from Arnold Schönberg, some Latin from Carl Orff and a lot of English from various Rock bands; so yes, music helped my language skills and it's been fun all the way.