Have you used music to help learn a language?

Skippy   Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:49 am GMT
I know there's a topic on music and language learning, but it's gotten way off topic, and I'd like to know how successful ya'll have found using music to help learn a language.

I've found singing along with German bands to be helpful in getting used to the syntax.

So... has it actually helped you or is it just fun to impress your friends with knowledge of foreign bands?
Earle   Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:56 pm GMT
I've posted in the thread you mentioned, also. But, yes, I used a huge stack of German folk song records (vinyl - tells my age) to get a handle on the pronunciation. Now, I need to find Norwegian CDs to do the same with that language... :D
Costas   Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:06 am GMT
Hi! I am Costas and I am greek. I must share my experience regarding this topic. My Turkish boyfriend liked to talk to me Turkish while we were having...you know, and always used to play Turkish music on the background. After some time, involuntarily, I started to sing the same Turkish songs that I used to listen to during...you know. Even though I still don't understand what the words mean, I can still recite them just like a robot. I believe music is a great tool to help someone learn another language. I miss him so much...

Thans for reading my post guys!
Rolando   Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:19 am GMT
I print lyrics for the songs that I have in languages... it doe shelp me...
:-)
Guest   Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:23 am GMT
A gay Greek getting his snootch pounded by a Turkish man..... too bad all the Greek and Turk nationalists are not here right now! LOL!

Great post Costas, I hope we'll be hearing more from you , maybe under sifferent name :) :) :)
Costas   Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:23 am GMT
I don't want to be someone else. I like who I am and what I am. I am greek and so many greeks are gay like me and they don't care as well. There is a huge number of gay greeks, maybe the largest percent of any nation in Europe, and that makes me feel quite comfortable. Yes, my boyfriend was Turkish, what's wrong with that? My grand, grand, grand, grandfather was most likely an Ottoman soldier, just like the g, g, g, grandfathers of most Greeks that live today in Greece, so what's the big deal? We are not politicians, just normal people trying to reconnect.

Ah, and don't worry about the nationalists of both sides, they will show up sooner or later. They never fail to do so.
Costas   Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:47 am GMT
Is there anyone else using music to learn another language? C'mon guys, don't leave this greek guy in here bragging like...
Guest   Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:06 am GMT
I'm sorry, but you and your Turkish bf became the greatest subjects of interest in this thread.
Rodrigo   Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:09 am GMT
I'm learning French and our teacher always made us sing songs. You may feel silly but at first songs for children (the parts of the body, fruits and vegetables) are useful. Probably this won't work at an intermediate level but they're great for starting.
guesswhatguest   Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:14 am GMT
I'm also learning French. Here is a nice song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQkB-WWzsbg
Costas   Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:11 am GMT
Rodrigo,

Are you talking about your teacher or your priest? Jk.. :-)

Guest,

My ex Turkish bf was a very nice guy. There are many Greek-Turkish gay couples in Greece, mainly in Athens, as I've heard...
Skippy   Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:19 am GMT
For French, I like Chapeaumelon... They're fun.
Costas   Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:23 am GMT
What is that?
Hepcat   Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:41 am GMT
I've found Brazilian music helpful in learning Portuguese, but then again I just like Brazilian music in genral.
K. T.   Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:35 am GMT
Yep. I agree about Brazilian music. Love it!