Does anyone speak Portuguese here?

superdavid   Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:10 am GMT
1. I've just heard a Portuguese word sound like 'Veng-Sang Cruz' or 'Beng-Sang Cruz.' (I have no idea of the exact spelling though!)
What do you think the correct word and the meaning of that word?
I know 'cruz' means cross in English, but what is 'Ven-São' or 'Ben-São'.

2. Are Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguse(European Portuguese) mutually intelligible?
Milton   Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:12 am GMT
1. HERE IS YOUR DICTIONARY:
http://dictionary.reverso.net/portuguese-english/
bênção is a blessing

2. Yes and no, Brazilians have hard time understanding Portuguese people, but Portuguese people understand Brazilian although they consider it ''Portuguese spoken with weird words and bad grammar'', compare to Swiss vs German, Swiss people understand Germans but Germans find it difficult to understand spoken Swiss German, so Swiss German is subtitled on German Tvs, Continental Portuguese is subtitled on Brazilian tvs (movies) or dubbed into Brazilian Portuguese (soap operas)
Guest   Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:10 pm GMT
yeah, for what you said, it could be "benção cruz", two distinct words and, as Milton said, it means "blessing cross"... though I don't think those make any sense just like that, something is missing there...
Guest   Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:23 pm GMT
Milton

Portuguese spoken with weird words and bad grammar? Wake up. Where are you from? Florida?
For someone who pretends to know you make bad mistakes.

Brazilians also have a hard time understanding Portuguese from other regions of Brazil. As in any other language a different regional accent is enough to make it hard to understand what one says. Portuguese has subtitles in Brazil because Portuguese people speak very fast, contrary to Brazilians that are slow speakers. Buy yourself a dictionary of Baiano (Brazil) , Sertanejo (Brazil) or of Tás-os-Montes (Portugal) to learn about regional differences and please do not insult antimooners intelligence with all the anti Portuguese nonsense.
Most languages' regional accents are hard to understand for people who never leave far from home.
Guest   Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:28 pm GMT
Oh please!!! Brazilians and Portuguese can understand each other just as an American and an English do.