Just how popular is English in your respective country?

ANother Guest   Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:58 am GMT
The topic title is self-explanatory.

What? Me? I'm an American. n/a
Damian in London SW15   Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:19 am GMT
The English Language is extremely popular in my country. In fact, without it we'd all be in a wee bit of a dog's breakfast, and the idea of having to learn Polish, for instance, is a tad scary.
Guest   Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:13 am GMT
English is prerty important here in Spain. My father, who was born in 1955, studied only French, but nowadays English has replaced French as a preeminent foreing language at schools.
Statian   Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:46 am GMT
Although still important in many areas of the country, English is declining in rapidly in many places.
Skippy   Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:06 pm GMT
In my country, Texas, English is widely understood but not widely spoken in the home :-)
Vladimir   Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:19 pm GMT
Most of people in Russia who do not know English and many of them feel ashamed of it.
Guest   Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:28 pm GMT
That's because countries with largely spoken languages tend to learn English worse. It' not a secret than in Europe those countries with best non native English speakers are Holland, Sweden, Denmark... while Spain, France are the among the worst.Probably that their language is related to English helps too.
Colorado Joe   Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:33 pm GMT
In my country, Colorado, English is very important and widely understood.
K. T.   Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:39 am GMT
Good one, Skippy. Same in my state (for some households)...
Vladimir   Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:57 am GMT
What do you guys mean saying "in my country, Texas", "in my country, Colorado"? Are you going to be independent from the US?
Milton   Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:16 pm GMT
English is very popular here. Many people prefer it to their native tongue.
English is seen as ''cool''.
Travis   Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:19 pm GMT
>>That's because countries with largely spoken languages tend to learn English worse. It' not a secret than in Europe those countries with best non native English speakers are Holland, Sweden, Denmark... while Spain, France are the among the worst.Probably that their language is related to English helps too.<<

Probably the main factor here really is whether such areas are natively Germanic-speaking (as are the Netherlands, Sweden, and Denmark) or not (as are Spain and France).
Guest   Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:49 pm GMT
There is also a psychological factor. A Danish needs to speak English and other languages. He lives in a small country and his language is not very spoken. They study English seriously at school

People from France or Spain, speak international languages. They do not need to speak other languages. Perhaps, only a basic English, if they go to other country a week. So, they only study English to pass the exams.
furrykef   Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:30 pm GMT
<< What do you guys mean saying "in my country, Texas", "in my country, Colorado"? Are you going to be independent from the US? >>

If you had an idea of the typical (or at least stereotypical) Texan personality, you'd understand why they said that. ;) No, they're not going to be independent. But they have something of an independent personality... just like a family might have an "independent" personality in a child. The child's still part of the family, and still wants to be, but the child has a mind of its own. Also, Texas is actually big enough to be its own country. Of course, in reality, Texas isn't really that much different from any of the other states. But there's something about Texas that makes them seem different, in a good way. 'Course, other people's perceptions of Texas are probably different from mine. But if I had to name the state that's the loudest and proudest, Texas would be it.

The Colorado one was probably just in reference to the Texas remark. I've been to both states. The primary difference between them is Texas is hot and Colorado is cold (at least in the mountains). ;)

- Kef
Dr. No   Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:23 pm GMT
Texans seem to dig acting like they're their own country whilst acting like they're the most patriotic in the union. Those states that used too be "countries" seem to have that trait, no matter how poverty-stricken (Texas), short (California), or insignificant (Vermont) they were.