How and why did English become the lingua franca?

Carlyle   Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:07 pm GMT
Would someone go into detail?
Guest   Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:19 pm GMT
It ain't lingua franca, it just happens to be nowadays the most commonly second language learned.
Guest   Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:35 pm GMT
Ummmm that's like basic history, Britain was the first country to industrialize in the late 18th century and became the richest in the world, conquering 1/4 of the planet during the 19 century. Then America became the superpower of the 20th century. The last two centuries were owned by English speaking countries, there's your answer.
Guest   Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:41 pm GMT
1) Industrial revolution and British imperialism
2) US+UK+CAN+AUS+NZ economic strength and technical expertise
3) Much of Europe laid flat (for a while) by WWI and WWII
4) Rise of the computer mainly in UK (early) and US and strong US/UK presence in other language-based media

As a result, much of the interesting info is available in English, so people are tempted to learn it.

Besides:
5) Learning the basics of English is a snap, compared to other languages

Going forward from here, most of the reasons for learning English will disappear, so we'll have to see what happens next.
JM   Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:57 pm GMT
Learning English *properly* is anything but a "snap". It's quite common for beginners learning the language to think this, but unlike some languages that become "easier" as you go along, English becomes more complex.

It's true that English is flexible enough to simplify just about anything, but this by no means implies that the language is easy to learn - properly.
Damian in London SW15   Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:05 am GMT
You only have to travel around almost all of the countries of Continental Europe to see how strong the influence of English has become. Almost everywhere English is virtually regarded as the "second Language" - and most signs and directions of whatever kind are in both the Language of the country concerned with the English equivalent given below. No native born English speaker can possibly go far astray anywhere in Continental Europe, nor find it difficult to find someone who is readily conversant in English. In fact, the people of those countries, in the main, seem only too pleased to have the opportunity to practice their skills in what is undoubtedly the Lingua Franca of Europe.

That certainly was the case in the Czech Republic when I was there last week. Everybody under the age of about 40 or so seems fairly fluent in English, some very much so. Not only in Europe - further afield in Egypt for instance - English is without doubt the prime non Arabic Language there, everywhere from Alexandria down to Aswan and Abu Simbel and beyond. English is everywhere, on all signs and notices, and you can freely use English almost as if you were back in the UK. Even the wee bairns begging for baksheesh (along with many of their elders vying for the same - one of the major "hazards" of the Nile Valley!) in the amazingly hot and dusty streets automatically use a range of English words when they see people who are obviously tourists to the amazing Land of the Pharaohs and Pyramids.

All this makes us native born English speakers extremely lazy to the point of arrogance and presumption really. It's very difficult indeed to see any point in the future when English is knocked off its perch as the world's Prime Language - the undoubted Lingua Franca. Reasions for this are clearly given in other contributors' posts.
Max   Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:48 am GMT
Well it is easy. There is only one factor: America became the superpower of the 20th century.

If in America people spoke Danish, Danish would be the World lingua franca. Or Scottish, or Dutch.

The influence of USA is incredible. The second World foreign language is Spanish thanks to the Americans. This choice, very common now in Europe, is due to the big amount of American students that choose this language instead of French.

European people do, almost always, the same: they wear jeans, drink coke or watch American movies. The same in all the World.

The role of UK or other countries is not very important.
Guest   Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:01 am GMT
Max, if not for UK, English would not be present throughout half of Africa, India, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and Canada, all of which used to be British colonies. The role of English in Continental Europe would be smaller also.
Me   Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:03 am GMT
"All this makes us native born English speakers extremely lazy to the point of arrogance and presumption really."

This might be slightly OT, but as a native English speaker, I found it extremely hard to learn German, which I now speak fluently. Even to this day, if a German realizes that my first language is English they suddenly feel compelled to to speak English. I personally find this quite irritating if not insulting. I take this as another way of saying "You are an American, and Americans don't speak German, so I will make things easier for you by speaking Englsh."
Me Again   Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:11 am GMT
I forgot to add that the reason I found it so hard to learn German was because no one would speak it to me there. I am sure it would have been much easier had my first language been something other than English. I think it's unfair to stereotype native English speakers of only being monolingual. I also happen to speak Russian quite well, so I can go to either Russia or Germany and not fit the stereotype but if I got to Italy or France and am "forced" to speak English, I all or a sudden become the "ugly American" who only speaks English. Have any other native English speakers ever experienced this type of thing?
Max   Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:33 am GMT
"Max, if not for UK, English would not be present throughout half of Africa, India, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and Canada, all of which used to be British colonies. The role of English in Continental Europe would be smaller also."

You overestimate the role of English everywhere. In all other countries, English is the mother tongue of some 110 million people, a medium language.

If in USA people spoke Danish, according to the example, Danish would be spoken in Philippines, Micronesia and all Pacific islands but Australia and New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Panama, etc. In Europe and Japan would be the most important foreign language. In India and Africa, people would study Danish, and not English.

When China will become the superpower of XXI century, Chinese will be studied everywhere, and it will be one of the most studied foreign languages. If British do not study other languages, British people, and Americans too, will be less competent in the near future.
Matt   Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:28 am GMT
Max, I take it you are American? I take it you haven't bothered learning any history other than American history? Your views are very narrow and wrong.

The role of the USA in promoting English aroung the world cannot be underestimated but to say the US is the only reason for English being so popular is total crap.
furrykef   Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:31 am GMT
<< It ain't lingua franca, it just happens to be nowadays the most commonly second language learned. >>

So what makes that different from a lingua franca?
The observer   Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:20 pm GMT
<<How and why did English become the "lingua franca?">>

Main reason; The industrial revolution and the British Empire.
The observer   Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:21 pm GMT
Main reasons I should say...