Use of "buddy"

perasy   Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:43 am GMT
Why do some people, even those you meet for the first time, call you "buddy"?

The dictionary meaning of this word is similar to "friend".

Why do familar or unfamiliar people you're not even friends with sometimes address you by that word?

Today, while I was waiting at the bus stop, I dropped my hat. Someone beside me picked it up and gave it to me, saying, "Here you go, buddy."
I felt weird being called "buddy" by someone I never saw before.
perasy   Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:45 am GMT
By the way, I live in Canada.
K. T.   Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:20 am GMT
In the US, "Buddy" can be friendly or not-so-friendly, but friendly.

Buddy, that is NONE of your business.

Or

Let me help you with that, buddy.

Don't get worked up over this.
JM   Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:23 pm GMT
To me it feels patronizing to be called "buddy" by someone I hardly know.
Skippy   Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:57 pm GMT
You hear buddy a lot more frequently in Canada than in the US... Though you'd find it in the same context.

It's similar to being called "bro" in CA, "bra" in Hawaii, or "man" anywhere else
Damian in SW15   Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:41 pm GMT
In Britain the term "buddy" is never used - at least, I've never heard it used EXCEPT by Americans (as when I was at uni) over here who I definitely knew to be Americans and not Canadians. I suppose Canadians use it as well, being North Americans themselves, but I've never thought about that really - I always associate it with Americans proper. I never really know whether it's used in a genuinely friendly way or not! Anyway, it will never catch on over here that's for sure. We use the universal "mate" - that IS used in a friendly way ....male to male.

Guid nicht! Hae a guid weekend.
Travis   Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:52 pm GMT
At least around here in Wisconsin, "buddy" is not used much at all (both positively and negatively), and "bro" and "man" are primary used by AAVE-speakers.
rbl   Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:50 pm GMT
Here in Southern Illinois it's fairly common to hear people, especially older men, use "buddy" in a friendly way to either their friends (buddies!) or complete strangers. My Grandpa calls everyone buddy whether he knows them or not! Young guys and girls usually refer to their friends as their buddies. But when actually addressing someone, they'll usually say man, dude, bud, or girl (if it's a girl of course =)
Uriel   Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:53 pm GMT
Buddy is used the same way in the US that mate is used elsewhere, and its casual use in no way implies long-term friendship or intimacy -- it's just a generic term.