the name Cassandra- is it an original English name?

Cassy   Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:58 am GMT
it's my name and it's really common here in America. My dad said it was an English name. Is it common in England?
And is it originally English?
Damian in London SW15   Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:36 am GMT
Cassandra:

Obviously there are females by the name of Cassandra in the UK (not just in England, Cassandra!!!!) but personally I have never met a Cassandra (usually abbreviated to Cassie I would guess). Maybe they are more common in England than in the rest of the UK.

Anyway (perhaps you may know this already?) the name Cassandra originated in Greek mythology as Casandra was one of the daughters of King Priam and his wife Hecuba, and also the sister of Hector. She was supposedly the most beautiful of Priam's daughters, and her physical beauty naturally attracted males, but this attraction sadly never led to any satisfactory outcome either for Cassandra herself or for the males concerned, so you could say that poor wee Cassandra was never good news for the poor guys who became involved with her for one reason or another. You could say that she was some kind of siren - nice for guys to gaze upon but too dangerous for them to know. Sorry, Cassandra!

Cassandra was endowed with the powers of prophecy but the fates decreed that no word she uttered was to be believed - nobody paid any heed to anything she said. So a Cassandra can now mean anyone whose prophecies of doom and gloom are completely unheeded.

Again, I'm sorry to tell you all this rather gloomy stuff related to your name, Cassandra! Shame really, as it's quite a nice name in itself.

Furthermore, there is a female columnist on one of Britain's most prominent national newspaper's who, incredibly, calls herself Cassandra. Maybe a touch of irony there I would reckon! She may well satisfy her female readers but, like the Greek Cassandra, she doesn't go down too well with male readers as she is very much a feminist and her columns regularly consist of a whole diatribe of anti-male gobbledegook, most of it vituperative tosh.So what's new there! Based on the literary meaning of the name Cassandra which I outlined above, that columnist certainly chose a suitable monicker. It suits her down to a tee.

I'm sure it doesn't apply to you, Cassandra in America!

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~loxias/cassandra.htm
Uriel   Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:52 pm GMT
Your name is Cassandra and you've never heard of the Greek prophetess? For shame! ;)

You should pick up a baby name book --those are great for giving the origins of given names.
furrykef   Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:05 pm GMT
I have to wonder about the accuracy of stuff in such books, though. People who make them have an incentive to make the names look good or at least interesting. I'm not saying they all do that, but the point is, how do you know?
Rick   Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:08 am GMT
I'm in the UK and i know two Cassandras, one is English and the other is Northern Irish.
Guest   Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:14 am GMT
There are Cassandras in France. I thought the name had Latin origins.
greg   Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:30 pm GMT
En français, <Cassandre> est un prénom épicène : une forme unique pour le masculin Gr <Κάσσανδρος> et le féminin Gr <Κασσάνδρα>.
K. T.   Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:55 pm GMT
I didn't know that. Thank-you, Greg.
cassie   Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:34 pm GMT
i live in america and i know three other girls named cassie
greg   Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:52 am GMT
Josh Lalonde : « I expect it's more popular for girls than boys. I don't think I've ever met (or heard of) a male Cassandra. »

Oui, et de loin. D'autant que Fr <Cassandra> n'est pas épicène, mais uniquement féminin, à la différence de Fr <Cassandre>.