Non-native English speakers act like we natives are stupid!

Joe   Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:01 am GMT
I am absolutely sick of speaking very good Spanish, yet still going to Mexico and meeting the occasional Mexican who refuses to speak to me in Spanish because I'm an American. And some of these people can barely even speak English! The same thing happened to me all the time in France as well, people would always speak to me in English even though I understood French just fine. I doubt the same thing happens to native speakers of any other language. I've never heard of a Danish guy, for example, going to the Czech Republic and the Czechs all speak to him in Danish, or a Dutch guy goes to Japan and everyone speaks to him in Dutch. So why can't people stop doing it to us native English speakers?
Guest   Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:05 am GMT
Pretend you're not American. Say you're from some obscure little country. Be creative. It won't work otherwise. That and you need to take a chill pill and adjust your attitude.
Guest   Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:42 am GMT
<And some of these people can barely even speak English!>

That's more of the reason for them to speak English with you because they want to improve themselves in the language. Come on, You are an American. The whole world is trying to learn your language and culture. Why do stress yourself by learning languages of other countries?

Let yourself enjoy burgers and coca cola and watch TV. And let the whole world do the hard work for ya. Sit tight and switch on your Tv and enjoy the ride!
Joe   Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:13 am GMT
Why should I not learn Spanish if I'm gonna travel to Mexico and possibly live there in the future? Mexico is a Spanish-speaking country, and by and large most Mexicans do not speak English, however, the few who do think they speak it very well. This is not an offensive comment at all, anyone who has ever travelled to Mexico will tell you that most Mexicans do not speak English, especially outside of the border towns. The whole world is not trying to learn my language and culture. First of all, I find it kind of strange that Hollywood movies are representative of my culture; I am from Maryland, far from California. Secondly, maybe in Europe it is like that, but most Mexicans don't care at all about US culture or the English language, yeah they might see a Hollywood movie from time to time, but not as a "cultural experience". For the most part, the only Mexicans I've ever met who cared about English were upper class and upper-middle class. Everyone else is content with their Spanish. So as a result, I must learn Spanish in order to communicate effectively in Mexico.

And remember the Antimoon principles; excessive speaking of a language without proper input will result in hard to correct mistakes. That's more of a reason for them to keep studying English and not speak until they know the language better. Plus, it's a matter of principle; never forget that Mexico is a Spanish-speaking country, so the default language of communication should be Spanish. It would be equally as rude to go up to Mexicans in the US and speak to them in Spanish; that's sort of like implying that they can't speak English; and likewise them speaking to me in English is almost like implying that I can't speak Spanish.
Guest   Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:32 am GMT
If you think your spanish is so great why not reply to them in their native language even though they try to speak with you in your language. That'd put them into their right place when they see you speaking their native language fluently. Show your stubborness. Communication involves more than one party. They'd stop speaking English to you when you don't reply them in it. It is as simple as that. It is easy to crticize others for no apparent reasons.
Guest   Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:49 am GMT
I've noticed that English speakers are much more tolerant of nonnatives who may not speak thier language perfectly. Speakers of other languages, such as French, German, Japanese, etc. do tend to have less tolerance when a foreigner speaks, or tries to speak, their language.
Guest   Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:31 am GMT
A good trick is to pretend you dont understand their English.

Say: "I'm sorry, what?" a couple times and then ask in Spanish "cómo?" and it will deflate their will for speaking English.
Damian in London SW15   Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:54 am GMT
I find that most people in Continental countries are very happy and pleased when you make an effort, however shaky and faulty, to speak to them in their own native Languages. Of course it's embarrassing when you make mistakes but most people don't seem to minsd that at all - in fact, they think it's funny most of the time and it's up to you not take any offence when they do find it amusing - I don't think any of it is malicious.

My experience in Prague last week had me a bit worried at first as my attempts at Czech were pretty horrible, but the fact that at least you tried scored some points with the local people and that's for sure. Looking on the bright side of this, it's pretty clear that they welcome all opportunities to practise their English, so at least we are doing something postitive when that happens.

Here in the UK we are so used to everybody visiting us from abroad speaking English which can make us extremely arrogant in a sense. I think that most British people would be totally amazed if they were approached by foreign visitors who proceeeded to speak in thei own native Language. Quite honestly, I'd hate to think of some of the reactions demonstrated by some of the Brits! Now that could be embarrassing!

The ONLY times I have been sort of "rebuffed" when attempting to address local people in their own Language occurred in France - well, in Paris really! Now that IS a surprise! :-) I know that my (basic) French was totally acceptable - in fact, grammatically correct and well pronounced, but it was to no avail. Both characters (one male, one female) responded in (fairly ropy) English, and I had a suspicion that it was done with deliberate intent, maybe to make me appear a bit dumb.

Vive la France! :-)

Paris is an extremely beautiful and very gracious city. Shame about the Parisians (well, some of them at least!). Including the incredibly rude woman in the box office of the Opera Comique! She was a classicly rude Parisienne!
John   Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:19 am GMT
"I've never heard of a Danish guy, for example, going to the Czech Republic and the Czechs all speak to him in Danish, or a Dutch guy goes to Japan and everyone speaks to him in Dutch. So why can't people stop doing it to us native English speakers? "

I have been dealing with this issue for many years and it's nice to know that I am not alone. I experience this problem when dealing with German quite a bit. I have been speaking German fluently for over 20 years but still sometimes have to deal with people who think that they are obliged to speak English to me because they think they are "doing a favor". They are not doing any favors, they are instead being insulting.

When people flat out say things like "It's ok, you can speak English to me" they might as well say "I don't think that you native English speakers are capable of learning other languages so let's just speak English."

This leads to a lot of other "interesting" issues as well. I happen to be American, but speak both German and Russian fluently, but if I go to Italy, where I don't speak the language, I would usually speak English and guess what? I may be immediately be seen as a "typical American" who doesn't speak anything but English. I could go on with this part but I won't.

A question to non-native speakers here. Have you ever tried to "help" an native English speaker by offering to speak English to them? Has it ever occurred to you that you may be insulting the person who is actually trying to make an attempt at learning YOUR language?

I found it very difficult to learn German because of this issue. When I first started trying to learn it, my German was so bad that everyone would
automatically resort to English which only made things worse for me. Had my first language been something other than English, then most likely people would have had to have spoken German to me instead.

And, no, it's not practical to pretend that you don't speak English when it's your native language. People can hear it as soon as you open you mouth.
Guest   Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:39 pm GMT
I've had the same experience in Germany. I would ask someone something in German, and they would reply in English. I agree it is insulting, not only are they implying they don't think you can learn their language, but also that their English is bound to be better than your German. I think the above poster who said you should just carry on in the foreign language regardless is right. And people can definitely hear that English is your language. I don't look at all English or Northern European, yet they still picked up on it.
Guest   Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:09 pm GMT
This is one privilege that we non-natives have and we're insisting on our right to practise our English. You guys can't have it all.
Franco Catipulti   Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:23 pm GMT
Sometimes I speak English bad so I dont mind when you visit my country, you taste the wine, see the beautiful cheese, eat the mature women. Please do not worry about the language.
Calliope   Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:15 pm GMT
I understand your point, but I think that people who do that do not realise you are being offended. The fact that English is the lingua franca of our times is common knowledge, and the fact that many (not saying "most", though it might be the case) English natives don't learn languages because of this, kind of makes sense to a non-native English speaker.

So, if I see a tourist struggling with Greek, I might assume they are trying to not be arrogant about their language (because so many are), or that he is not sure I understand English or anything along these lines. That's completely theoretical though, as it has never happened to me.

I guess my personal tendency is to ask if they'd rather we spoke in English, and that would be with the intention to facilitate them (speaking your own language is easier, isn't it?). If they say they're fine speaking Greek, I'll go on talking to them in Greek.

There would be no snobbing attempt hiding between the lines. I am too amazed every time I see a non-Greek speaking even *some* Greek, to even think of snobbing them.
Mitch   Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:22 pm GMT
A few observations:

1. On Damian's observation: ("I think that most British people would be totally amazed if they were approached by foreign visitors who proceeeded to speak in their own native Language.") That used to be true in the States--and still is for most languages--but not necessarily for Spanish, at least in Southern California and other heavily Hispanic places. I was often approached in Los Angeles by people asking the time or directions in Spanish, even in non-Hispanic neighborhoods, and even though I look rather "gringo." They were totally unsurprised when I answered them in Spanish. And I've seen Spanish-language television stations approaching the stars during the Oscars in Spanish, even though the reporters knew English, and even without knowing if their targets spoke Spanish. (Many did, or at least knew a little.) Spanish in the States is getting like English elswehere.

2. I know that the Germans have the reputation of trying to "show off" their English. In some ways it's even worse in Asia, where a European-looking person will often be approached in English. A guy I knew in Taiwan was fluent in Mandarin, and was so sick of being used as a walking English dictionary, that he intended to tell people that he was Italian, and knew no English. So another possibility is to speak enough of a language that is little-known in that country, pretend to know no English, and they'll have to resort to their own language.

3. The final method I know about is to simply be flattering and overly polite. If they answer back in English, you can say something (in their language) like, "Oh, you're English is great. I'm really trying to learn your wonderful language. Do you mind helping me practice a bit?" If they won't accomodate you even then, then maybe they're not the type you'd want to keep speaking with, anyway.
Joe   Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:23 pm GMT
Just a note to the guy who said to just keep on in their language even when they try to speak English, that never works. I have had several conversations where I try to speak nothing but Spanish, and they just carry on in English. Never once has it ever worked and caused them to resort back to Spanish.

Also, as far as Spanish in the southwest US, I admit it's getting ridiculous. I live in the San Diego area and many times in both San Diego and Los Angeles have been approached by people who knew very little English. Luckily I know Spanish so was able to talk to them, but some of them told me (in Spanish of course) that they have been living in the US for at times upwards of 11 years and they never learned English. That's just wrong. I don't mean to be rude or racist or anything, but in my general experience the arrogance of native Spanish speakers is topped only by the arrogance of native English speakers (as far as their attitude when living in a country that does not speak their native language). This is not just Mexicans either; I have a Guatemalan friend who has been living in LA for almost 10 years, and she still only speaks about 100 words of English. I tried to help her out, but she refused, saying she feels more comfortable in Spanish. Perhaps worst of all, why are the presidential candidates campaigning in Spanish? In order to vote, you have to be a US citizen, and in order to become a US citizen, you have to know English, so logic would tell us that all eligible voters must speak English by default. Just another example of an attempt to turn the US into a Latin American country.