If anyone ever calls you a "Fag" in Canada or the

undefined   Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:32 am GMT
...do they mean it?

This happened last year. I don't remember what month it was. I was casually walking down the road in my neighbourhood and there was a car coming from my opposite direction, facing me. Inside the car, there were only 4~6 males, all of whom seemed to be anywhere from 17 to 23 years old. When the car came closer, they suddenly called me, "Fag!" and the car just swiftly passed by. It happened so suddenly that, as soon as the car passed by, I remained standing where I was for 20 seconds, feeling numb and pathetic.

By the way, I live in Canada.
Did this ever happen to you?
undefined   Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:33 am GMT
The title should say "If anyone ever calls you a "Fag" in Canada or the US". I wonder why "US" got deleted.
Guest   Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:09 am GMT
There was a short of space in the topic box.
Pub Lunch   Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:21 am GMT
It always makes me laugh when I hear N. Americans calling each other "fag" because where I'm from a "fag" is a "cigarette". So no this has never happened to me, but I was jogging last week and I had a bag of chips thrown at me - they had Salt & Vinegar and even tomato sauce on them. - Little gits.
Damian in London E14   Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:24 pm GMT
In much the same tone the word "gay" is used as a form of juvenile insult on the school playgrounds of the UK. Nothing to do with sexuality as such although it may have indirectly originated from that in the sense that the playground insult is meant to refer to anything that is crap, minging or generally low quality......."yuk! That's so gay!" You have five year olds saying that to each other, so it's doubtful that they know anything about the more usual modern day meaning of the word "gay".

Totally un-PC, of course, but as I say it is mostly confined to school playgrounds. In no way, of course, does it imply that gay people are "crap, minging or generally oow quality! I should know _ I happen to be gay myself, but accept this mis-use of the word "gay" as just childish banter. I guess the American version is similar.

Actually faggots in the UK are things you eat - they're a sort of meat pie and you're supposed to eat them with mushy peas - another UK speciality.
Asbo Plank   Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:07 am GMT
Pub Lunch, u shudda ducked u ol grandad. HAHAHA.