red head

Guest   Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:41 pm GMT
When speaking of a person who has got red hair, is it grammatically correct to say:
1. he is red-haired.
2. he is red head.
3. he is a red head.
4. he is red-headed.
5. he is ginger.
6. he is ginger-haired.

Are "ginger" and "red head" derogatory phrases?
Thanks for your help!
guest   Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:15 pm GMT
<<2. he is red head. >>
I would say: he is red headed.

<<3. he is a red head. >>
I would say: he is a redhead; or red-head, otherwise you run the risk of being too literal (i.e. his head, not his hair, is actually red)

<<5. he is ginger. >>
This sounds like his name is Ginger, or he is really really cautious (as if a back-formation from 'gingerly')

<<6. he is ginger-haired. >>
what the-???

ginger for a guy might be ill-taken (I would not like for anyone to call me ginger); for a girl it's kinda sexy.
neither are derogatory unless meant that way (by tone of voice or something like that)
Pub Lunch   Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:02 pm GMT
In Britain it is perfectly acceptable to say someone is ginger-haired or Ginger just don't say Ginger Nut!!!!

I've never heard of a "red head" or seen "red-haired" so I am supposing this a UK/USA difference???
furrykef   Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:57 pm GMT
I almost always see redhead written as one word. It must be "he is a redhead", not "he is redhead". It is not derogatory. I think I'd be more inclined to use it for women, but I don't think it's incorrect to use it for men.

I've heard "ginger-haired" before, but I must admit I didn't know what color it referred to. It sounds like this might be a British English expression.

- Kef
Doug Graves   Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:57 pm GMT
The correct phrases are

"Gingg -er"

"ginger nut"

"carrot top"

"duracell"
Damian in London E14   Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:52 am GMT
Ginger nuts - nothing whatsoever to do with carrot tops (another fairly derogative name for a red headed person). Instead, ginger nuts are the best ever biscuits for dunking - ie dipping into your coffee or tea. If you don't really want the hot crunchy bikkies to turn into a soggy, squidgy mess then don't dunk but the secret is to get the soggy bikkie into your gob before it splodges down onto your lap. Ginger nut cake is ace.

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/views.php3?filter=2

I feel sorry for carrot tops really - not because they have red/ginger barnets as such and are seen as people with fiery tempers (it's true! it's true!) but they also have ginger eyebrows and ginger eyelashes as well and to me that looks a wee bit odd. I know that's sad!

Also the most famous carrot top in Britain is that acid tongued, mean spirited, weakest link shrewish vixen Anne Robinson - she is enough to turn anyone off carrot tops for the duration. Currently she is getting divorced from her long suffering husband Penrose. I guess he's finally had enough of his Carrot Top. Who can blame him, the poor bloke. Still, she is splitting her millions of £££££££s down the middle with him (she has no choice) and donating to him the beautiful cottage in the beautiful Cotswolds, so there is a silver lining for him.