Can anybody tell me what the accent of Jude Law is?

Shon   Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:06 am GMT
I've just watched his movie - The Holiday and his accent is incredibly sexy. I have searched about british accent on google but haven't found any sound like that. Btw, the accent in Garfield- the tales of two kitties is so funny, is it RP?
Damian in London E14   Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:18 pm GMT
Jude Law was born in Blackheath, South East London - a very prosperous area, and after a wee while at a local comprehensive school he was enrolled at a private school - Alleyn's, in nearby Dulwich. His dad was a primary school teacher who always wore his hair in a pony tail; his mum taught English to refugees immigrating legally into the UK. Both his parents now run a theatre school in France.

Jude wanted to become an actor from a very early age and at 12 joined the National Youth Music Theatre, where he met his very good mate Jonny Lee Miller (who bears quite a close resemblance to Jude, so two very good looking blokes). Jude not only trained in musical and drama for the theatre, but he also trained in ballet and tap, so a pretty versatile guy he certainly is.

He had his debut in the West End theatre in London, and then started his film career. The rest is known to you and everywhere else.

His accent is pretty much standard English English RP, one which he no doubt had from the very start - typical of the Blackheath, Dulwich areas of London I would reckon. He can adopt other accents pretty well (for which he was professionally trained) including foreign accents such as American, which he clearly demonstrated in his part as Dickie Greenleaf in "The Talented Mr Ripley".

As for Garfield the moggy - apparently his voiceover is done by an American, so I can't really help you in this one.
Shon   Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:35 pm GMT
Damian in London E14, thanks for your reply. I really want to speak like Jude so I did search for mp3 samples on the internet but i couldn't find anything like it exactly (i mean i downloaded some british accent mp3 samples but they're not as good as Jude's accent). Can u help me ? :D

About Garfield, i didn't mean the voice of Garfield (he is american:D), i meant the voices of the animals live with the royal family.

Btw, are the accent of Kate Winslet and Jude's the same?
Damian in London E14   Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:00 pm GMT
Shon:

Time very short for me right now - hopefully, I will reply more fully later sometime but just to say that Kate Winslet comes from Reading (pronounced as Redding) - a large town on the River Thames, 40 miles or so west of London. She comes from a family heavily involved in acting so it's in her blood. AAMOI it was in Reading Jail that Oscar Wilde was incarcerated in the late 19th century on a spurious charge of "outraging public decency, Victoran style" and where he wrote his ballad, prior to him fleeing persecution in England by nipping across to Paris where he died soon afterwards, poor benighted bloke. How times change.....

Back to Kate - her accent is very much of the same sort of background as Jude Law's - ie Southern English English RP. That's about as much as I can say about that really.

All I can suggest right now is the BBC site of all the native British accents there are in these islands, more or less. I will try and give the link later - I'm typing at breakneck speed and I must scarper right now. Both Jude's and Kate's accents must be in there somewhere - those ladies lunching out in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, (Southern EE RP) may be something of the same type I would reckon.

BTW - today 5 October is Kate Winslet's 32nd birthday!
All together now: Happy Birthday, Kate Winslet!
Shon Dang   Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:37 pm GMT
I really appriciate your helps, Damian. still waiting for more your replies

btw, Happy Birthday, Kate Winslet! (her birthday is 5 days before mine:D)
NotsoDisgusted of Tunbrid   Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:29 pm GMT
Hello Shon, Damian et al.

Damian is correct about Tunbridge Wells. Jude would fit in nicely here. Maybe you can find some samples of the local dialect?.

As for cheeky Damian, maybe we should "do lunch" at the Pantiles, darling?. *mwah* *mwah* (air-kisses).
Damian in E14   Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:21 pm GMT
NotSoDisgusted of Tunbridge Wells:

Cheeky? Moi? Och awa' wi' ye! :-) Too late for a lunch date today - I already had a tuna salad baguette and a sprite - how about I make it down to Royal Tunbridge Wells tomorrow, Thursday? A21/A26? or M2? I could pretend to be on a special assignment at the Pantiles - my sat nav will show the way. btw have you ever met the famous Disgusted? Sounds like a right old grumpy git to me!

I got RTW mixed up with Sevenoaks - well, you're fairly close to each other, are you not? At least my roadmap says you are. The ladies I mentioned were not lunching as such but were down at their golf club in Sevenoaks discussing whether they were posh or not! No doubt you wouldn't think so!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/group/kent-sevenoaks.shtml

Sounds like the Pantiles offer a wide choice of lunch date venues....I'll leave it up to you which one - I'm not too fussy as long as there's a wide range of healthy options. :-)

http://www.visittunbridgewells.com/pages/View.asp?Level=2&LevelID=90

Research shows that Jude would certainly fit into the Tunbridge Wells social scene - I can't find any on-line examples of the local RTW accent - the nearest were those ladies in nearby Sevenoaks. They'll do won't they? Of course they will. I reckon it depends on whereabouts in the UK you come from whether you think they sound "posh" or not - I would simply say it's standard Southern/South Eastern English English RP. Just like Jude from Blackheath, SE3.

I promise not to be late......
NotsoDisgusted   Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:44 pm GMT
Damian, Sevenoaks is not far away.

BTW a fresh baguette is fine but if I ask for something sparkling to go with it I don't mean a can of Sprite.

Will you be wearing the family Tartan, sweetie?.
J   Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:12 pm GMT