Language of Europe

Mallorquí.   Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:11 pm GMT
"According to the Bible, the existence of lots of languages is a punishment of God to our arrogance."

Comme je ne suis pas du tout arrogant, la multiplicité de langues est, à mon avis, une bénédiction.

Concevez-vous un monde où tout le monde ne parlerait qu'une seule langue, mangerait les mêmes mets, penserait de la même façon? Je ne voudrais jamais de cette sorte de monde plastifié.

Autre chose est d'avoir recours à une même langue auxiliaire, qui n'effacerait pas les autres langues.
Skippy   Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:46 pm GMT
Mallorqui-

The Tower of Babel story, and those of us who find it interesting, don't mean to suggest that different languages was the punishment, but that the inability of those who built the Tower of Babel to communicate.

Hypothesize with me: Let's assume the Tower of Babel story is true (c'mon, it'll be fun!). How many languages do you think God made and what were they? PIE, Proto-Finno-Ugric, Proto-Sino-Tibetan... What do ya think?
K. T.   Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:10 am GMT
Comme je ne suis pas du tout arrogant, la multiplicité de langues est, à mon avis, une bénédiction.

I agree with you. I starting thinking this way in the last year or so, but for different reasons.

People are less likely to be evil as a group if they aren't able to communicate.
K. T.   Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:33 am GMT
Hypothesize with me: Let's assume the Tower of Babel story is true (c'mon, it'll be fun!). How many languages do you think God made and what were they? PIE, Proto-Finno-Ugric, Proto-Sino-Tibetan... What do ya think? -Skippy

I have wondered about this many times. I'm sure one of them was probably some sort of Chinese (I guess that's your Proto-Sino-Tibetan), I wonder if Basque was one of them (or is that included in one that you've already listed?) Probably a Semitic language ancestor was among them.
Guest   Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:03 am GMT
Je crois que le langage le plus courant dans les chantiers de la tour de Babel devait être le langage du fouet. Il est très efficace et les esclaves qui travaillaient au bâtiment devaient le comprendre fort bien et vite.

Tout compte fait, de nos jours le langage du fouet (plutôt celui des bombes) est le plus efficace de tous.
K. T.   Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:10 am GMT
Ohne Worte.
Mallorquí.   Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:20 am GMT
Oups, j'ai peur que le sens de l'humour latin ne soit entré en collision avec le même sens germanique.

C'est la peine de dire que mon dernier message n'etait qu'ironique (et amer aussi) et que je ne faisais pas du tout l'apologie de la violence?

Seigneur Jésus, qu'il est difficile de bien communiquer et de s'entendre, et cela avec la meilleure volonté.

K.T, explique-moi ce que tu entends par Ohne Worte. Je sais bien que cela veut dire "sans paroles". S'il te plaît, libère-moi de cette lourdeur d'esprit qui ne me laisse pas respirer.

Peut-être, avant d'écrire mon message, aurais-je dû me rappeler que "Reden ist Silber, Schweigen ist Gold".
K. T.   Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:44 am GMT
Reden ist Silber, Schweigen ist Gold".

My brother used to say this in English.

So, YOU were the anon. "Guest"?

Don't worry about it, Mallorquí. I enjoy your well-written posts and I think it's "cool" that you have grown kids. I don't always agree with you, but I always find your viewpoint interesting. I try to steer clear of political and certain other issues here, so "fouet" and "bombes" made me think, "Uh-oh"...