How come Finnish and Hungarian are not Indo-European?

K. T.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:43 am GMT
That's the best question I've seen here in over a month!
suomalainen   Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:13 am GMT
Adam,

some small corrections: "Minä on varovainen" should be "Minä olen varovainen" (I am careful). The different forms of verb 'olla' (to be) are in present tense: Minä olen, sinä olet, hän on, me olemme, te olette, he ovat. Personal pronouns are optional, as the verb ending tells the person (as in Italian, Spanish and Portuguese). "

"Olen opettelut suomea yhden kuukauden" - there should be a 'n' at the end of the word "kuukauden" (Accusativ case).

But you can build excellent sentences with finesses of Finnish language! Is it true that you have learnt Finnish only one month?

Guest,
Nokia is a town in Finland close to Tampere (the second biggest center of the country). The word is derived from the name of marden (no more in use in Finnish, in Estonian 'nugis').
Guest   Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:10 pm GMT
Brennus, "Lapp / Sa(a)mi are the same thing. One is simply considered more pc right now. "Lapp" is the older name for them and is of Middle German origin from what I've read. "

Some years ago, I read a travel book telling that "Lapp" is mean "dirty people" in Old Germanic. Which let me thinking about the Hokkien there have also a word "lap" to mean the same meaning as Old Germanic, and the lap have the other meanings "poor person", "a person like the beggar", "a man like a refugee" Which can said: lap, li-lap, li-li-lap-lap, lap-che, lap-che-lap-che, etc.