How do you pronounce Dolphin, Involve, Doll...

Milton   Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:51 am GMT
Hi
How do you pronounce Dolphin, Involve, Resolve, Call, Doll, Dollar, Collar, Caller, Golf, Fall, Follow, Mall?

with /A/ or /Q/?

in NYC Involve/Resolve/Doll/Dollar have /A/, other words have /Q/
in LA all these words have /A/, but some speakers have /Q/-allophone due to dark-L influence (lateralization?!).

Do you think that /A/only and /Q/only pronunciation is more logical than
the one that has some strict distribution of /A/ and /Q/?

Do you think that difference in pronunciation can lead to problems like: ''does doll rhyme with call'' (yes!, no!) A NYC person reading aloud a poem written by a Californian can make many words not rhyme, so it does not sound right.

What is that children at schools learn? Do CALL, DOLL and MALL rhyme?
Are COLLAR and CALLER pronounced the same? We have three processes here: LOW BACK MERGER, SHIFTS (Californian and Canadian) and darkL infuence (dark L shifts some vowels to /Q/ --- pulse /pQls/, involve /invQlve/, doll /dQl/ in some accents, and in some people only)...
davidab   Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:59 am GMT
<There's also, l-vocalisation, just to make things a little more confusing...For me, 'collar' is [kQ:l_G@`], but 'caller' is [kO:5_e@`] (ie. 'call' + '-er'.>

According to X_SAMPA

[l] = lateral alveolar approximant
[_G] diacritic to indicate velarisation

therefore [l_G] = velarised lateral alveolar approximant

[5] = velarised lateral alveolar approximant

[_e] = diacritic to indicate velarisation or pharyngealized

so [5_e] = velarised velarised lateral alveolar approximant?
Travis   Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:20 pm GMT
I just had to list my pronunciations here, so here goes:

dolphin ["dQU_^f1~:n]
involve [1~n"vQ:U_^f]
resolve [R1:"zQ:U_^f]
call ["k_hQ:U_^]
doll ["dA:M_^] or ["dQ:U_^]
dollar ["dA:M\R=:] or ["dA:M_^R=:]
collar ["k_hA:M\R=:] or ["k_hA:M_^R=:]
caller ["k_hQ:wR=:] or ["k_hQ:U_^R=:]
golf ["gQU_^f]
fall ["fQ:U_^]
follow ["fA:M\o:] or ["fA:M_^o:]
mall ["mQ:U_^]
pulse ["p_hVM_^s]

Note that the [M\] and [w] above may be somewhat lateralized in careful speech even though such have no central occlusion. However, the [M_^] and [U_^] above are practically never lateralized except in very careful speech. And also note that my dialect overall lacks both [l] and [5] (and [l] in particular is perceived as a foreign sound); there are some individuals, however, who do have such sporadically. (And yes, that really is [R] you are reading, or more specifically [R_o]; don't bother asking about whether my dialect has uvular rhotics.)