Origin of these words in Cornish and Welsh

Guest   Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:03 am GMT
Does anybody have any idea of the origins of the words 'pychya' (to stab) and 'Troellya' (to turn) in Cornish and the word 'troi' (to turn) in Welsh?
I am having a hard time ascertaining the etymologies of these words as etymological information regarding these language is wanting.
Adam   Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:30 pm GMT
Cornish has now become almost extinct in England so it is hard to find etymologies for their words. I've been trying to find the etymology but I've not been successful.
Franco   Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:57 pm GMT
Creo que "pychya" viene de la palabra española "pinche". Es una palabra bonita que se puede usar de muchas maneras para expresar una plétora de sentimientos e ideas profundas.
Guest   Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:16 pm GMT
En todo caso sería de "picha".
sabrina   Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:18 pm GMT
Franco, por lo visto hablas/escribes muchos idiomas... no quisiera parecer demasiado curioso pero me encantaria saber de donde eres?
Franco   Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:45 pm GMT
Nací en una base argentina de la Antártida.
Guest   Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:06 am GMT
Thanks for your help.
OïL   Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:27 am GMT
"pychya' (to stab)"

— obviously related to Fr. <piquer> (= "to stab", "to pierce"), which is itself of Celtic origin.
See also Eng. <pike> ("spear"), from Fr. <pique>, also from Celtic origin (or Germanic perhaps).

pike (2)
"weapon," c.1511, from M.Fr. pique "a spear, pikeman," from piquer "to pick, prick, pierce," from O.Fr. pic "sharp point or spike," perhaps ult. from a Gmc. or Celtic source.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=Pick&searchmode=none
Guest   Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:49 am GMT
Interesting, in Spanish there is a similar word with similar meaning too:
"Picar", which means to make a wound with a pointed weapon. According to RAE this word is related to "pico" (pointed weapon"). RAE says that "Pico" derives from Celtolatin
Guest   Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:17 pm GMT
Hence the well-known "picadors" in bullfights.
Guest   Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:17 am GMT
According to Gerlyver Kernewek Kemmyn 'pychya' is a borrowing from Middle English piche. Piche is listed in the Oxford English as an obsolete form of pike or pitch. The same source also states that 'troellya' is derived from the Old French word 'trouill' meaning a spool which was
also borrowed into Welsh and Breton as 'troi' and 'troiñ' respectively.