till

furrykef   Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:27 pm GMT
<< The matter is that the word that is normally used in spoken English (at least in most English dialects) is "till", and "until" really is primarily literary, formal, or emphatic in its actual usage. >>

Mm, I'd have to disagree. I use both "until" and "till" frequently, both in writing and speech. Not sure what makes me choose one or the other, since I never think about it... could just be which one seems to fit the rhythm of the sentence better.

- Kef
Guest   Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:12 pm GMT
<The word is still the same one. >

Is it?
guest   Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:52 pm GMT
<<<The word is still the same one. >

Is it? >>

Yes. both "till" and the "-til" part of "until" descend from M.E. "till" < O.E. "til"; either from, reinforced by or akin to O.N. "til" meaning 'to'
Guest   Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:09 pm GMT
<Yes. both "till" and the "-til" part of "until" descend from M.E. "till"

How on earth can "till" descend from itself, from "till"?>
Guest   Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:13 pm GMT
<<How on earth can "till" descend from itself, from "till"?>>

um, easily.

The Modern word "till" descends from the Middle English word of the same form [i.e. earlier form]: "till" (duh.) from Old English "til"...

I don't understand your confusion in this...
furrykef   Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:20 am GMT
I think the confusion is that "descend" typically suggests a change of some kind; a descendant would not be the same word. I don't really agree, but I understand the logic.

- Kef
beneficii   Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:31 am GMT
I know that the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (written in the 18th century) uses the word 'till' like that. I personally prefer the _till_ spelling to the _'til_ spelling.
beneficii   Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:33 am GMT