my brother and the english language

Sarah   Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:10 pm GMT
ok. I just wonder about if this is strange or not.
I live in the UK. My brother is 15 years old and one day he said to me "maybe the English language was first spoken by a cave people in England".
WHAT? He doesn't know about the Anglo Saxons.
Is that normal?
Franco   Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:44 pm GMT
I met a British person who doesn't know what a mobile telephone is! I showed it him and he was shocked!

He couldn't understand why it works with no wires.

Anyway, my point - the world is filled with stupids, perhaps your brother is also stupid.
Sarah   Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:21 pm GMT
Everybody know about cellphones......You're kidding!
But is it normal that 15 year olds think that English was first spoken by a cave people in England?
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:31 pm GMT
I think saying "a cave people" is a little odd. Just "cave people" sounds better... Anyway, I don't know what schools teach in Britain, but I'm an American and I learned about the Anglo-Saxons and the history of the English language in high school, although I already knew about it beforehand... Do they teach it in Britain?
Joe   Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:24 am GMT
I don't think your brother is that stupid. Things could be far worse:

http://www.break.com/index/56-percent-of-french-people-are-stupid.html
Guest   Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:10 am GMT
It's the moon!! Oh, what a surprise!...
And he still got 1500€ prize for his ignorance... unbelievable.

<<I think saying "a cave people" is a little odd. Just "cave people" sounds better... >>

LOL. You're a very nice person.
Guest   Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:19 pm GMT
Anglo-Saxons are old-fashioned. Children learn about Internet, computers, and this sort of things.
Guest   Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:40 pm GMT
<<Anyway, my point - the world is filled with stupids, perhaps your brother is also stupid. >>

There's so much information on this planet, that everyone is ignorant about about the vast majority of topics.

For example, how much do you really know about cellphones and how they work? How is it that the tiny transmitting antenna on the phone can successfully communicate with a tower many miles away, while in the past they used to need huge antennas stretched for miles on tall towers for communication (admittedly over a longer range).
Franco   Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:38 pm GMT
Thanks to my past studies of Physics, I know quite a lot about cellphone function (of course, I'm not an expert like I am an expert of Freud, but I know 50% more than the ordinary man).

But it's correct, I don't know about everything. I don't know about the theory of midwiveing or how to play hide and seek or manipulate genes. But I know these not obscure topics exist, which means I'm not stupid like the brother of the author.
Guest   Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:19 pm GMT
hmm, the education system is getting easier and easier these days....
Matt   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:27 am GMT
I suppose that teaching about the Anglo-Saxon's isn't a popular topic these days. The kids are too busy empathising with mill workers in the 19th Century to gain a broad-range of knowledge.
Guest   Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:57 pm GMT
Being English in normal I think. Ignorance is normal for English speaking people. I think he has never heard about Romans, Normans etc. too.
meez   Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:39 am GMT
It was probably first spoken by some cave people in Germany..he just confused the country...so no worries he's quite good at history and language though he could work on his geography skills.. ;-)
Guest   Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:04 am GMT
Did the Anglo-Saxons live in caves or did they build their own houses? I read that they were quite primitive people. Normans were more advanced.
Tom Jim Jack   Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:35 am GMT
To Sarah:

Ecclesiastes once said : "For in much wisdom is much vexation, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow". So your brother just does not increase sorrow. And throw a stone at anybody who would say your brother is stupid