Just a common mistake?

Rodrigo   Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:35 am GMT
I was talking to a friend in Canada and we mentioned learning languages and immersion. At first she said it was written with a T instead of an S but with google and some dictionaries we realised the correct spelling. She said it was probably to imitate French but I thought in French it is spelled with an S also. So I checked the French Academy's dictionary and another on-line and I always found it spelled with S, but my friend insisted her school's page always wrote it immertion. Then I googled immersion ou immertion and google suggested immersion ou immersion but I found that on several pages it was written both ways. She thinks it's the name of a class and to avoid confusion it's spelled differently.

In conclusion my question to Francophones is, is the spelling immertion just wrong or is it used in specific contexts to avoid confusions?

BTW, the Academy's dictionary is very complicated, hard to see and only goes up to the letter P.
Guest   Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:46 am GMT
I believe "Immersion" is the only correct spelling.
greg   Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:53 am GMT
Oui, c'est <immersion>.
Guest   Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:07 pm GMT
In English, "immertion" and "immersion" (probably) wouldn't be pronounced the same. (Of course, with English spelling you can never be 100% sure.)
furrykef   Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:25 pm GMT
You sure? I'd probably pronounce them the same way. (I've only ever seen "immersion", by the way.)