How popular is it to learn Latin

Herbist   Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:24 pm GMT
I heard that learning Latin is quite popular in German Gymnasium (= secondary school or academic high school). How popular is it in other countries, and where can one find hard numbers.
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:02 pm GMT
Here in Spain Latin was progressively excluded from Bachillerato (the US High School equivalent)in favor of applied subjects (economics, french computers, et cetera) .20 years ago all Ballicherato students had two compulsory Latin courses, then it was reduced to one one only , and nowadays students can finish High School without taking a single Latin course. Only if the student does not choose the sciences itinerary , Latin is part of the study plans, but most of students choose the sciences itinerary.
olaszinho   Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:45 pm GMT
Here in Italy Students can learn Latin in high school (licei) and in liceo classico they even study ancient Greek. Latin can provide students a solid and useful grounding to learn other languages. Besides a good and wide classical culture is always important in people's life.
K. T.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:52 pm GMT
Last night I saw a surprising number of books to learn Latin in the bookstore. Well, at least two or three, lol. It was offered locally at my library recently and I know a high school student who studies it. It's offered at private schools and I've read that it is popular.

I know that there are some Latin-hating, Latin-fearing folks here. I never learned Latin myself. One polyglot asked me recently, "How can you speak French and Spanish if you didn't study Latin?" I had no answer, of course. To me, each language should be able to stand on its own without any props.

Obviously, many people have different ideas about how to approach the romance languages. Maybe that was the old way. The student learned Latin first?
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:56 pm GMT
To learn Latin in order to learn later Spanish or French is the most absurd idea i've ever heard about studying languages. It is the same as if you say, ok, first I must learn how to make fire with stones and wood and later I learn how to cook.
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:10 pm GMT
Why the "it" pronoun is ned in the initial question? Can't I say: How popular is to learn Latin??
guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:20 pm GMT
<<Why the "it" pronoun is ned in the initial question? Can't I say: How popular is to learn Latin?? >>

You need the 'it' to make it sound correct according to convention. Otherwise, it sounds like Spanglish...(which is ok by me btw...:)
guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:21 pm GMT
you can say: "How popular is learning Latin?" --that's okay
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:23 pm GMT
I want a native's anwer.
K. T.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:42 pm GMT
"It is the same as if you say, ok, first I must learn how to make fire with stones and wood and later I learn how to cook."

You just agreed with that polyglot's reasoning, then. People ate fruit before they learned to cook, I'm sure, and that's probably what you meant. One eats before one learns to make a fire. However, one cooks AFTER learning about sources of heat.
guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:45 pm GMT
<<I want a native's anwer. >>

(Ahem...) those were a native's answers thank you...
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:47 pm GMT
OK, I wanted to be sure because you know, many people here are non native speakers and could provide me wrong answers.
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:55 pm GMT
"To learn Latin in order to learn later Spanish or French is the most absurd idea i've ever heard about"

I don't want to be rude but dude you don't know anything about linguistics. Latin might be very useful not only to learn romance languages but also other languages with declensions like Russian, Icelandic, German and so on. Have you ever heard of Romance philological studies? This subject deals with the close relation between Latin and romance languages from a phonological, grammatical and lexical point of view....
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:59 pm GMT
Ok, guys, learn before Latin in order to learn Spanish after. Let me know the results. Ciao.
By the way, I don't know about linguistics, but one thing is linguistics, and other a practical approach to learn languages, which is the subject people talk about here on antimoon
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:06 pm GMT
Guest what does that ciao mean? Are you Italian? If you were Italian you should know how important Latin is to understand some specific aspects of the Italian grammar....