Unfamiliar does not imply ungrammatical

Divvy   Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:44 am GMT
"Unfamiliar does not imply ungrammatical."

You agree?
furrykef   Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:45 am GMT
However, in mjd's hypothetical little town, while sentences like "Me is going swimming" are ungrammatical Standard English, they might be perfectly grammatical in the local dialect. It's all relative. There's nothing that makes "I am going swimming" better than "Me is going swimming" other than convention. Often, adhering to such conventions is a good idea, but it's still only convention.

- Kef
Guest   Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:22 pm GMT
How do you the native speakers say this

You and I

or You and me?
furrykef   Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:08 pm GMT
Well, in Standard English, it depends on whether the phrase is the subject or the object. In other words, it's the same as if the "you and" weren't there, so it's "You and I are going to have an adventure", but "The adventurers are you and me".

Colloquially, many people say "you and me" in all cases, though. Not me, but Travis insists that "you and I" sounds archaic to him. Also, sometimes "you and I" is used when it should be "you and me"... "just between you and I" is incorrect Standard English, because prepositions must always be followed by an object pronoun.

- Kef
Lo   Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:40 pm GMT
Another type or wrong grammar is the use of the singular verb to be and a plural noun like "there's bears" or "where's the children?" instead of "there are bears" and "where are the children?" and there are thousands of people that say stuff like that colloquially everyday.
There are more examples like not using the modal "did" when asking questions in the past and substituting it for "'d" as in "how'd it go?" instead of "how did it go?"
Not using the correct word order when asking questions is also incorrect in standard English but we do it everyday like "she drives that car?" instead of "does she drive that car?"
There sure are millions of other examples.

What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't really matter whether you speak grammatically or not, the point of the language is conveying a message and if that message is conveyed English served its purpose.
furrykef   Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:01 am GMT
<< Not using the correct word order when asking questions is also incorrect in standard English but we do it everyday like "she drives that car?" instead of "does she drive that car?" >>

I'm not sure I'd call that incorrect Standard English, especially when the word order is used for emphasis. It wouldn't be a good idea to overuse that construction, though.

- Kef
Skippy   Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:48 am GMT
It sounds weird to me when people say things like "where's the children?"

I'll agree that unfamiliar does not mean "ungrammatical" in a prescriptivist sense... For example, "From where are you?" or "to whom are you speaking?" are "grammatical" while their more common counterparts "where are you from?" and "who are you speaking to?" are, in this sense, "ungrammatical."
Travis   Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:51 am GMT
>>I'm not sure I'd call that incorrect Standard English, especially when the word order is used for emphasis. It wouldn't be a good idea to overuse that construction, though.<<

Actually, I'd call that pretty standard colloquial North American English, all things considered. It may not be formal language, but it is still rather standard in practice.