A turning point for language evolution?

Vincent   Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:25 pm GMT
So "is english splitting into many dialects?" > yes and no
"Is English strengthening its unity?" > yes and no

Reality is not dualist, it often says "yes AND no", strange innit?
Guest   Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:10 pm GMT
Yes, English would be strengthening its unity, weakening its unity or staying the same. There are three options, but there must be only one which represents the reality. There are no more alternatives.
Mallorquí.   Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:13 pm GMT
Guest, boa noite,

tens razão. Seguirei teu conselho.
Travis   Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:45 pm GMT
>>Yes, English would be strengthening its unity, weakening its unity or staying the same. There are three options, but there must be only one which represents the reality. There are no more alternatives.<<

I would have to say that general fragmentation of English is inevitable (and has been in the works for centuries), as major dialect groups of English really do not successfully transfer features between each other in a systematic fashion (with the occasional exception such as Australian English picking up flapping). Consequently, major English dialect groups cannot "keep up" with each other in the long term, making general fragmentation inevitable.
mac   Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:16 am GMT
And you don't think the new age we live in of increasing advanced communication and travel will affect these changes.

You said that fragmentation has been in the works for centuries. Would you say it has become easier or harder for English speakers to communicate with one another across the English speaking world today, when compared to the last few centuries?

Just saying that in my personal experience of meeting many English speakers (native, foreign) from various backgrounds and in many different areas, I've rarely been in a situation where communication was a problem.

This isn't only a question for English, but all the other large languages as well.
Travis   Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:33 am GMT
>>You said that fragmentation has been in the works for centuries. Would you say it has become easier or harder for English speakers to communicate with one another across the English speaking world today, when compared to the last few centuries?<<

I would say that it has gotten easier to an extent simply because people today, in general, are more familiar with other English dialect groups than, say, at the start of the 20th century. However, familiarity does not make dialects actually come closer to each other in reality; such requires actual day to day contact with speakers of other dialects. The matter is that this has only become more difficult with the expansion of the English-speaking world, which is far larger than it was even just two centuries ago. This has been somewhat counteracted by the automobile and, to a lesser extent, the airplane, by enabling greater mobility (whereas even a century ago many people probably lived their entire lives within a few miles' radius); however, the English-speaking world is so large today that even that cannot prevent large-scale dialect divergence within such.