Kiss of Death

abc   Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:12 am GMT
Spelling and grammar errors can be the kiss of death for resumes.
What does the expression imply?
Guest   Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:18 am GMT
I think it means that spelling and grammar errors can render a resume ineffective as a means of getting a job or interview.
furrykef   Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:42 am GMT
Yes, that's exactly what it means.

- Kef
abc   Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:15 am GMT
Thanks. I was asking about the phase "kiss of death". Not the sentence as a whole.
What does "render" mean by the way?
furrykef   Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:33 am GMT
Well, "give the kiss of death" is just a metaphor for "killing". In turn, "killing" a resume means making it ineffective. It's usually used for metaphorical senses of "kill" rather than the literal sense.

In Guest's sentence, "render" just means "make". This sense of the word is used only with adjectives, and it's usually used with words such as "useless" or "unable".

- Kef
abc   Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:38 am GMT
thnx Kef
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:57 pm GMT
Putting "the kiss of death" on anything, no matter what, simply means messing the whole thing up, therefore making it useless, ineffective, totally knackered, beyond any means of redemption, prevention of any continuance of whatever it was designed to do or produce. Rendered a total cock up a balls up, as a Brit saying goes....nothing obscene or unsavoury meant in that at all.

Another term for it could be the use of a word, the origin of which appears to be uncertain - it sounds as if it could have come from the days of the British Raj in India - "putting the kibosh" on something, meaning exactly the same as the kiss of death. Maybe it has no connection with India at all -I may be confusing it with the Khyber! I'll pass on that one....

Render can also mean to submit or to present anything for approval or such like, as well as to have something turned into some other condition -useless in the case of this thread topic.

In building and decorating it can also mean to cover brickwork, for example, with a coating of plaster, or something similar.

In the UK back in feudal times (that is, in the days when communities were dominated and ruled over by a manorial Lord or Master, (ie the famed Lord of the Manor), in the Middle Ages in other words, the word render was a noun, and meant a payment made to the self same feudal Lord of the Manor, most probably rental payments or some such sum of money.
K. T.   Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:18 am GMT
It's (probably) from the Bible. Judas kissed Jesus and betrayed him to the authorities in this way. There may be other sources as well, but Wiki also listed it first, I think.

I also think of Dracula, but...
Travis   Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:32 am GMT
The expression, 'The Kiss of Death' comes from "The Godfather" everyone knows that!!