maths is - maths's or maths'?

Guest   Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:47 am GMT
How should it be for 'maths is'?

Maths's or maths'?

Thanks.
furrykef   Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:56 am GMT
I wouldn't use a contraction at all in that case. At least, not in the written language. But if you were to use one anyway, definitely go with the first one. The second one can only be the possessive of "maths".

(By the way, we Americans neatly solve the problem with that particular word by always using "math" in the singular. ;))

- Kef
Lazar   Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:39 am GMT
"Maths" isn't a plural; it just retains the -s from "mathematics" (cf. "physics", "economics").
furrykef   Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:12 pm GMT
Thanks for the correction.
SpaceFlight   Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:10 pm GMT
<<"Maths" isn't a plural; it just retains the -s from "mathematics" (cf. "physics", "economics").>>

"maths" can be a plural. "I took three maths".
Brian   Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:47 pm GMT
"Maths is..."
Skippy   Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:06 pm GMT
I dunno if this is typical throughout the US, but in the South (and from my experience in California) you just say "Math" or "Mathematics."
Trawicks   Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:17 pm GMT
"Maths" is common in the UK (and probably parts of the Commonwealth), equivalent to "math" in the States. I suppose the UK version is more logical since it's short for "mathematics," plural.
Lazar   Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:24 pm GMT
Also up here in the Northeast, I've only ever heard people say "math" or "mathematics".
furrykef   Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:07 pm GMT
I don't think anybody says "maths" in the US (or Canada). Reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was the first time I encountered the word "maths".
SpaceFlight   Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:19 pm GMT
<<I don't think anybody says "maths" in the US (or Canada). Reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was the first time I encountered the word "maths".>>

Yeah, we don't use "maths" here in the United States, except for the fact that math courses are often referred to as "maths" for short.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:21 pm GMT
The reasons given for the British version "maths" are correct. Both the British and the American version could be considered correct and logical, depending on how you look at it. I believe that the reason the newly established independent Americans dropped the "u" in so many words, such as colour, honour, labour, etc, as well as dropping one of the double letters in many other words (labelled, etc) as well as so many other variations, was a deliberate intention to disassociate from "British customs" in as many ways as possible, not only with the Language but as many other things as possible. They can't be blamed for that at all - a new and independent country with new and independent ways of doing things without any interference from those nasty Brits far away across the turbulent ocean....
The Observer   Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:53 pm GMT
<<How should it be for 'maths is'?

Maths's or maths'?

Thanks.>>

Maths is.
Lo   Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:53 pm GMT
Damian, I beg to differ, the reason American spelling is different is because Americans have tried to make spelling more according to pronunciation. It was definitely not deliberate, the British spellings are seen in not-so-old American newspapers and books, I wish I could remember a particular example at the moment but I can't.