"th" sound?

Guest   Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:21 am GMT
<<If anyone said that to me seriously, I would laugh in his face. This is *horribly* antiquated in spoken English, and only slightly less so in written English.>>

There you are using antiquated English. It should read "If anyone said that to me seriously, I would laugh in their face."
Travis   Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:41 am GMT
>><<And in the past:
'If I were you,...' (incorrect: if I *was* you)>>

This is the only use of the subjunctive that's still alive in North American English. Your example is a set phrase though: I'm sure lots of people say "if I were you" but don't the subjunctive with other verbs in the past.<<

You're speaking of the past subjunctive here; even then, you're neglecting forms like "Were I you" and "Were I to" which do not involve the use of "if". The matter is that the present subjunctive is more flexible and productive in its present-day usage in North American English than the past subjunctive.
furrykef   Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:44 am GMT
<< This is the only use of the subjunctive that's still alive in North American English. >>

Actually, not quite. guest's example of "I demand that he kill them" is standard North American English and I use this construction myself.

- Kef
Guest   Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:55 pm GMT
<<By the way, you may want to read about prescriptivism vs. descriptivism, because the idea of 'correct' vs. 'incorrect' English is outdated.>>

To some people it is. However they are as wrong as can be.
Lo   Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:20 am GMT
<<Actually, not quite. guest's example of "I demand that he kill them" is standard North American English and I use this construction myself.

- Kef>>

I agree, I wouldn't even think of saying "I demand that he kills them," it sounds odd.
"If he need money give it to him" sounds really uneducated, I don't mean to offend anyone but that line looks like they got it out of some hip-hop song.
furrykef   Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:56 am GMT
<< To some people it is. However they are as wrong as can be. >>

Well, something that's "as wrong as can be" can be proven false. So do it.