A Question for Romance language speakers

The American   Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:32 am GMT
I know that Portuguese, Spanish, Romanian, French, Italian, Sicilian, etc aren't very close to each other, but have any of you Romance language speakers ever been able to speak to another Romance language speaker while speaking in your own language? (e.g. French person speaking in French to an Italian person who responds in Italian but French person understands)
greg   Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:45 am GMT
Oui, bien sûr ! Très souvent.
David   Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:10 am GMT
That was me who started this thread.

Oui, bien sûr ! Très souvent.

Vraiment, êtes-vous sérieux ?
David   Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:12 am GMT
so you often talk to another romance language speaker, (italian, romanian, whatever, but you each speak your separate languages, and you both can understand?

in French

Donc vous parlez souvent un autre haut-parleur de langue d'idylle, (Italien, Roumain, quoi que, mais vous chaque parle vos langues séparées, et vous les deux peut comprendre ?
Brennus   Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:21 am GMT
Mexican Spanish speakers I've worked with can recognize a good deal of Italian and even Romanian when I've tested them on it. I never tried them on French but I think they would have understood very little of it.

(French is just as much a Latin descendent as Spanish, Italian & Romanian but it has followed a very different evolutionary path. In some respects, it's the most radical of all the Romance languages, in other respects it is actually closer to Ciceronian Latin than Spanish, Italian, and Romanian. In Gaul (i.e. France) Latin appears to have been primarily the language of a ruling aristocracy and the native Celtic speech persisted there for a long time only slowly absorbing Latin elements. In the other provinces it was more the language of the common people including large slave populations which the Romans needed to work the mining, marble quarrying and olive growing industries that they had there).
To David   Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:25 am GMT
Um David, did you use an online/electronic translator to come up with that French?
greg   Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:21 am GMT
Réponse à « To David » : bien sûr que oui car An <Romance> est 'traduit' par Fr <d'idylle>...

Brennus a raison : la phonologie du français est l'une des moins conservatrices de la Romanie. C'est sans dout edû au substrat gaulois, mais pas seulement car le phonétisme de la Romanie d'Oc diffère assez de celui de la Romanie d'Oïl.

Si je dois parler français à un romanophone qui comprend le français sans pouvoir le parler, je n'ai pas besoin de faire beaucoup d'efforts pour être compris : je réduis juste mon éventail lexical et évite les gallicismes.

Si je m'adresse à un romanophone qui ne sait rien du français, je parle plus lentement, articule davantage et me sers de gestes pour favoriser la compréhension. Parfois je vérifie que mon interlocuteur me comprend en utilisant un mot italien ou en hispanisant la prononciation d'un mot français (et vice-versa).
Sander   Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:03 am GMT
=>I know that Portuguese, Spanish, Romanian, French, Italian, Sicilian, etc aren't very close to each other<=

These languages, with the exception of Romanian are actually very close to eachother.
Guest   Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:59 am GMT
olive growing industries also in south of france, the same with wine which has been imported by the romans. Vulgar latin latin was also spoken by the natives in the Gauls. At list, Gauls was France + Half Italy (north).

These differences do not have anything to see because of the celts ar anything like it.

France has been removed during the 17th century by politics to erase some similarities between French and italian. That is why we have especially have the silent letter for each word.
Phil   Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:35 pm GMT
Well i speak french, but i can't really understand any other romance language. If i read spanish, or italien i can sort of understand the gist of whats happening. I would think that ital., span, and romainian, are more similar to each other then they are to french.
Sigma   Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:33 pm GMT
I think French and Spanish are more closer rather than Romanian and Spanish
David   Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:45 pm GMT
Um David, did you use an online/electronic translator to come up with that French?

Yes. Did I say it wrong or something..? :) If so, sorry. I couldn't speak French if I tried!
David   Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:48 pm GMT
I know that Spanish and Portuguese have 89% lingusitical similarity. Compared to Spanish and Italian (76%) and Spanish and French (72%) and Spanish and Romanian(I think it's like 70%)
greg   Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:58 am GMT
Le français et l'italien sont lexicalement très proches aussi.
Guest   Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:10 am GMT
David,

The studies have shown that lexically the closest romance languages are French and Italian, with 89%

While Italian and Spanish show 82% of lexical similarity.

Spanish and French share 75% of similar vocabulary

As you said Portuguese and Spanish share 89%, are lexically as closed to each other than french and Italian.