What is the difference between Toward and Towards?

Loreto   Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:11 am GMT
Thank you in advance.
furrykef   Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:47 am GMT
I don't think there is any.
Milton   Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:30 pm GMT
I think one is more British, and one is more American, just like the pair
forwards / forward...
Ian   Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:19 pm GMT
There's no difference in meaning. Just like "among" and "amongst"
Guest   Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:26 pm GMT
I suppose "while" and "whilst" is in this same class of words.

I assume in the US, they just simplified these words by removing the endings?
Rene   Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:36 pm GMT
No, in the U.S. we always use the s, except in whilst.
furrykef   Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:31 pm GMT
Disagree. "Forward", "backward", and "toward" have plenty of usage in the US. We also rarely use "-st" forms at all; "amongst" isn't common either.

- Kef
Guest   Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:33 pm GMT
I think "amongst" must also be Brittish.

Also, don't we use "forward" in the US. Example: "The train is starting to move forward now." I guess in Britain (or somewhere else?) they'd say: "The train is starting to move forwards now."
Guest   Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:58 pm GMT
I don't thinks so. I'm an American I and would probably say "forwards".
furrykef   Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:24 pm GMT
I probably would say "forwards" in that context, but there are others where "forward" sounds better to me, though "forwards" is probably not wrong. For instance, I'm more likely to say "forward-facing" than "forwards-facing". There are also a few cases where "forward" is virtually required. For instance, the military drill instruction is "Forward, march!", never "Forwards, march!".

- Kef
FWIW   Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:07 pm GMT
A Google search seems to show that "forward" is a whole lot more common than "forwards". "forward" has 214M hits, while "forwards" has only 1.7M.
Lo   Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:26 am GMT
I've never said "forwards" in my life and honesty it's the first time I come across such word.
I say "toward" "backward" "forward" "while" but "amongst".
Here in America (and I assume Canada too) we pronounce the word "toward(s)" differently than the British, we say [tOrd(z)] while in Britain they say [t@"wO:dz]
Guest   Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:30 am GMT
"Here in America (and I assume Canada too) we pronounce the word "toward(s)" differently than the British, we say [tOrd(z)] while in Britain they say [t@"wO:dz] "

Then I find much more clear the British pronounciation.
Guest   Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:00 am GMT
<<Here in America (and I assume Canada too) we pronounce the word "toward(s)" differently than the British, we say [tOrd(z)] while in Britain they say [t@"wO:dz] >>

We do? I always thought there was a 'w' sound in toward and towards, even in the US. Do tjhey pronounce it "tords" (rhymes with "cords", I suppose) down south?
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:21 am GMT
In the UK "toward" is now quite rarely used, if at all. It's prettty much obsolete now. At one time of the day "toward" didn't only mean what "towards" generally means today (something in progress or afoot, or in the direction of something) but also meant something that was favourable or promising - Samuel Pepys in his famous diary used the word to mean this.

Towards is the word in standard use today, at least here in Britland, the only English speaking country I know intimately. Let's raise a glass towards a new dawn.....let's all sail forth towards new horizons, and so on...