What are the odds

Cleveland   Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:30 am GMT
what are the odds, you are here as well!

does "what are the odds" this sentence mean "what a surprise" or "what a coincidence"?
Guest   Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:45 am GMT
I'd guess it means "what a coincidence".
Guest   Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:52 am GMT
No, it means exactly what it says. What are the odds that you are here in the same place as I. 1 in 10000 perhaps?
furrykef   Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:46 am GMT
"Odds" basically means "probability". "What are the odds of that?" expresses the idea that something unlikely just occurred. Another way of saying it is "What are the chances of that?" In your sentence, the speaker simply omitted the "of that" part.

- Kef
Cleveland   Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:46 am GMT
Thanks you guys! you are soo helpful
Guest   Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:12 pm GMT
What does it mean when you say that something is odd?
Guest   Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:49 pm GMT
Actually "odds" and probability are slightly different. From Wikipedia: "In probability theory and statistics the odds in favour of an event or a proposition are the quantity p / (1 − p) , where p is the probability of the event or proposition."
Guest   Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:06 pm GMT
If p is the probability of an event, it should be 1-p, not p/1-p. Correct me if I'm wrong.
furrykef   Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:13 pm GMT
<< Actually "odds" and probability are slightly different. >>

I know that, but we're not really talking about mathematics, and I didn't want to complicate the discussion. In common parlance, the two are at least somewhat interchangeable. One could say "the odds are 75%" or "the probability is 75%", and the listener's interpretation would be the same. They're really only distinguished when a number is given as a ratio.

<< If p is the probability of an event, it should be 1-p, not p/1-p. Correct me if I'm wrong. >>

I'm afraid you're wrong. Suppose the probability of an event is 1/3. Then the odds are 1:2, because for every 1 time it happens, there are, on average, 2 times it does not. (1/3) / (1 - 1/3) = 1/2, the expected ratio. But 1 - 1/3 is not 1/2, it is 2/3.

- Kef
Guest   Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:30 pm GMT
OK, i believed that odds meant the probability of not happening that event but it means this ratio : probability of happening / probability of not happening, right?
furrykef   Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:54 pm GMT
Yes, exactly.