Belgium Languages (serious thread)

Guest   Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:43 pm GMT
Here you guys can continue talking about the languages spoken in Belgium. But please don't talk too much about politics rather than languages . Otherwise Josh will lock again this thread .My question, which I could not post on the other thread is this: Brussels, a true bilingual city or not? Do all the Brusselers speak French and Flemish?
JLK   Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:46 am GMT
Brussels is a multilingual city. You will hear many other languages on the streets other than French and Dutch.

French is spoken a lot more in Brussels but that is changing. Everyone is learning Dutch to get a job.

javascript:void(window.open('http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/ynews?ch=4226714&cl=5035384&lang=en', 'playerWindow','width=793,height=608,scrollbars=no'));

Copy and paste that in your browser to see a video about the changes occurring.
Guest   Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:53 am GMT
"French is spoken a lot more in Brussels but that is changing. Everyone is learning Dutch to get a job. "

That is a lie. Frech is dominant in Brussels and always be. Flemish is not a sophisticated and glamorous language like French .

[originally posted as JLK; changed by moderator]
JLK   Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:13 am GMT
Hey Impostor,

You don't have to take it from me man. I'm getting this from the media. I think you need to understand something. The economy in Walloonia is SHIT. They have close to 20% employment. The economy is Flanders is awesome. They have almost no unemployment, they have a rapidly growing high tech sector and they are responsible for 85% of the countries exports. Dutch is economically speaking a much more useful language in Belgium. If this trend continues, the inhabitants of Brussels will have no choice but to learn Dutch. It means a bigger pay check. Tu comprends mon copain?

Here's another video that explains the economic motive for an independent Flanders.

http://www.npr.org/templates/dmg/dmg_rpm.rpm?id=16105009&type=1&date=08-Nov-2007&mtype=RM&sc=YahooNews&getUnderwriting=1
Guest   Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:20 am GMT
What is the relation between France and Wallonia? Do they speak exactly the same French language there? Do they feel connected to France? More than Flanders?
JLK   Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:33 am GMT
Wallonia is a French speaking region in Belgium, so yes, linguistically and culturally they are closer to the French.