just wondering

antimooner   Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:10 am GMT
hi antimoonERS,

A qustion...!

what's the best way to answer these questions?

what's up, dude?
how's it going, man?
what's going on, man?

just wondering...

Another question..!

what does "chilling" excatly mean?
Case1:
Students were waiting for Math exam. Suddenly, someone's phone rang. The other side probably said to her "where are you?" She said"waiting in the exam lounge, just chilling!".
case2:
Someone asked a girl what's your pet doing. She said "Just chilling!".

PS(those cases are real. My eyes saw them, my ears heard them !!)

Again, just wondering...

Thank you, thank you, thanky you.
If I made any mistake. Please feel free to correct me... YOU HAVE TO !!
Walker, Texas Ranger   Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:24 pm GMT
Even though I'm a non-native English speaker, I think I dare tell you that that to chill just means to hang out, doing nothing in particular. Those students weren't doing anything special except sitting there, waiting. So, they were just chillin'. According to my experience anyway, how to answer those questions, what's up?, how's it going?, you must first make an assessment of the situation, of the person's intention. You see, sometimes it's just something you say without expecting an answer to the question, but rather a reply similar to the question you just asked. And sometimes you might expect an answer: I'm fine, how are YOU doing. And this assessment is not always easy to make, in fact, I've found it to be quite difficult sometimes, and not knowing what to say. I'd be in the kitchen, and a Canadian exchange student would come up to me and say Hey! Whazzup buddy? How's it going? And I'd be like, Uh...I'm...I'm... Chopping some onion... Or, someone approaches you and says How's it going? And when you're about to answer the person who asked you, he/she has already walked passed you, and you're left there mumbling to yourself. It's weird, 'cause it is a QUESTION after all. It takes some experience before you get a hang of it. I'd also be happy to get some comments from native English speaker.