"gonna"

Jim H.   Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:17 pm GMT
I'm curious as to how I would phonemicize my pronunciation of "gonna". I pronounce it [go@n@] with the [o@] vowel that doesn't occur in other words.
Guest   Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:29 pm GMT
That seems almost like "goin' a" rather than "gonna".
Jim H.   Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:42 pm GMT
<<That seems almost like "goin' a" rather than "gonna".>>

Not really. I would pronounce "goin' a" as [goU.In.@] "three syllables" whereas I pronounce "gonna" as [go@n.@] "two syllables". How I pronounce "gonna" and how I would pronounce "goin' a" sound quite distinct.
Travis   Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:34 am GMT
I myself have ["gV~4~@:], ["g@~4~@:], ["gV~:@_^], or ["g@~:] for "gonna", which seems to actually imply underlying /"g@nt@/; If I had /"g@n@/ for "gonna" I would actually have ["gV~:n@:], ["g@~:n@:], ["gV~::@_^], or ["g@~::].
Guest   Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:39 am GMT
I pronounce "gonna" as [g@n@].
Milton   Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:47 am GMT
I pronounce gonna, gotta and wanna with the /A/ vowel.
Milton   Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:48 am GMT
Guest   Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:21 pm GMT
<<I myself have ["gV~4~@:], ["g@~4~@:], ["gV~:@_^], or ["g@~:] for "gonna", which seems to actually imply underlying /"g@nt@/; If I had /"g@n@/ for "gonna" I would actually have ["gV~:n@:], ["g@~:n@:], ["gV~::@_^], or ["g@~::].>>

What about "Santa"? Do you similarly have ["s{~4~@], ["s{~::@_^] and ["s{~:].
Travis   Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:17 pm GMT
I normally have ["sE~_^{~4~@:] or ["sE~4~@:] for "Santa", but in everyday speech I will often have ["sE~_^{~:@_^] or ["sE~:@_^]. I don't have ["sE~_^{~:] or ["sE~:] at all, though; such forms were due to the assimilation of the first vowel to the second vowel in "gonna".
Skippy   Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:35 pm GMT
We say it /g@n@/ in Texas.
Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:33 am GMT
<<I normally have ["sE~_^{~4~@:] or ["sE~4~@:] for "Santa", but in everyday speech I will often have ["sE~_^{~:@_^] or ["sE~:@_^]. I don't have ["sE~_^{~:] or ["sE~:] at all, though; such forms were due to the assimilation of the first vowel to the second vowel in "gonna".>>

What about "carded" and "quarter"? Do you have [ka:r\Id] and [kOr\3`] for those?
Travis   Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:17 am GMT
I have a different rhotic sound [R], more specially [R_o], than that which you mark there, but yes, I will very often have ["k_hA:R1:d_0] for "carded" and either ["k_hORR=:] or ["k_hwORR=:] for "quarter", in addition to the more careful forms ["k_hA:R41:d_0] for "carded" and ["k_hOR4_0R=:] or ["k_hwOR4_0R=:] for "quarter".
Travis   Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:19 pm GMT
That should be "more specifically" above.