Why there is not a second world important language?

Bjorn   Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:42 pm GMT
My question is that there is not an important second world language. English is the first. After this language there is an important gap. The second, perhaps is Spanish or French or another one. All other languages but English are not very important. Why?
Guest   Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:46 pm GMT
Because once there is one dominating language, why is there need for another one? The whole point of an "international language" is to prevent need for learning many languages, therefore another international language would just raise the same problem trying to be corrected. Instead there are important "regional languages" and "cultural/religion languages", such as Spanish in hispano-america, Russian in CIS and east europe, and French in Africa and Arabac in musulman populations.
Guest2   Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:58 pm GMT
Well, there are in theory 6 world languages according to UNO: English, Spanish, French, Russian, Arabic and Chinese. All of them are very important.

Perhaps, English, Spanish and French a little more important. Spanish and French are really important, status of world languages worldwide, and the gap between English and Spanish or French is not so big as you can think.
Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:00 am GMT
Once everyone is speaking one language, the world can achieve harmony. A second important language cannot be allowed to interfere.
Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:37 am GMT
Because no other country devastated, ravaged and occupied other countries like England. Simple. And did u have to ask that?
K. T.   Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:42 am GMT
You may want to google those words and some other European countries. If you want to go back to ancient times...
mac   Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:49 am GMT
<< Because no other country devastated, ravaged and occupied other countries like England. Simple. And did u have to ask that? >>

Careful, think before you post or study history. Spain, Portugal, France, and other European countries to lesser extents all hade colonial empires. You could even say the same for the Muslim Empire(s) that spread Arabic along with it.

Yes, England set the stage for English, but the status of the language today is largely due to the influence of the U.S., a former colony of England no less. It's interesting how that all turned out.
Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:51 am GMT
Just wait a couple of decades -- barring unforseen events, I think you'll find Chinese has become more important than English.
JLK   Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:48 am GMT
How so? Aside from being insanely difficult, Chinese is only spoken in China. Hardly an international language...
JLK   Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:12 am GMT
Stop using my name. I think that Chinese is an up-and-coming language because it's starting to be taught a lot more in the United States. Don't try to make me look bad, hispanic. Moderator, please delete the last post.
mac   Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:19 am GMT
My two cents. While I do think China's presence will grow, the language won't be able to displace English so easily. There are a few factors which make a language important: number of native speakers, number of secondary speakers, number of students and number of countries where spoken. English dominates all these unlike any other language in history (exept native speakers but it is still 2nd or 3rd depending).

Basically, people are more or less confortable using English and an international language. Not to mention it is overall much easier to learn than Chinese. Sorry, but tones and characters are not as convenient for people to learn.

Now talking economically and culturally, well even if China does surpass the U.S. economically, the U.S. will still be 2nd, which is still pretty good. Also, the living standard will remain higher in the U.S. for at least many years to come. And culturally, come on now. It's hard to imagine China becoming more culturally influencial than the U.S. Remember China is a still a communist state, lacking one of the most important factors in spreading culture: Freedom of speech.

Nothing against China or Chinese. I just think some people over-hype it just because it's a huge country. There is a lot more to it than that.
Ok, done with my rant. Thanks.
mac   Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:28 am GMT
<< I think that Chinese is an up-and-coming language because it's starting to be taught a lot more in the United States. >>

That's all good, but it will be a while before (IF) it becomes more popular than Spanish and French. Those two are pretty solid various reasons and will probably remain so. Honestly, I think that other things in China besides its economy will have to improve before the language will become truely popular.
Guest2   Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:28 am GMT
Well, English is the most important language. That it is obvious, but the gap between this language and Chinese, Spanish or French is not so important. Some languages are more important depending on the factors:

Chinese is the most spoken language as mother tongue, and as total speakers.

Spanish is the most spoken Western language. Also it is more spoken as mother tongue than English. Finally, there are more countries where it is spoken as mother tongue than English or any other language.

French is at least so spoken and studied than English in Africa.

Arabic, the same in Muslim countries, or Russian in the CIS, former USSR.
mac   Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:55 am GMT
In other words, this Guest already summed it up quite well:

<< Because once there is one dominating language, why is there need for another one? The whole point of an "international language" is to prevent need for learning many languages, therefore another international language would just raise the same problem trying to be corrected. Instead there are important "regional languages" and "cultural/religion languages", such as Spanish in hispano-america, Russian in CIS and east europe, and French in Africa and Arabac in musulman populations. >>

This is the answer to the thread question.
JLK   Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:52 am GMT
To the impostor: Chinese is not taught in United States. It is a language spoken only in China and always will be so.