"LONG TIME NO SEE" is said to be derived fromChine

Pedro   Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:57 am GMT
"LONG TIME NO SEE" is apparently not grammatical. It is said to be derived from Chinese, right? Is it commonly used in English speaking countries?
Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:04 am GMT
Yes, it is.
Cleveland   Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:51 am GMT
phrases such as Long time no see and my bad, they are originally from Chinese, Iv read an article about this several years ago.
TWN   Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:09 pm GMT
Yes, it is derived directly from the Chinese phrase "好久不見".

好久 (hao-jiu) = long time
不 (bu) = no
見 (jian) = see
Guest   Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:49 pm GMT
Please read:
http://www.answers.com/topic/long-time-no-see

"My bad" arose out of 1970s African-American street slang and spread to the mainstream during the 1990s through popular teen-oriented movies like "Clueless" and television sitcoms like "Family Matters". Whether the African-Americans got that from the Chinese...who the heck knows.
furrykef   Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:38 pm GMT
I suspect that most people aren't aware of the Chinese origin of "long time no see" because its use is so common now. It's become an English idiom, even though it has a foreign origin.
Skippy   Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:59 am GMT
I had no idea it was Chinese... I always figured it was similar to the German "lang nicht gesehen."
Guest   Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:54 pm GMT
Haha, I actually texted the literal translation of this to a German friend once, 'Lange Zeit kein Sehen', as a bit of a joke knowing that it wasn't correct. However it hadn't particularly occurred to me that it wasn't grammatically correct in English, I just thought of it as a bit of an idiom.