Addition of possessive "'s" at the end of store na

Guest   Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:12 am GMT
I have the addition of "'s" in certain store names that don't actually include it. For instance, I have "Eckard's", "Blockbuster's" and "Krystal's" for these local stores. Likewise, I have "JCPenney", yet when that is shortened by dropping the "JC", it always becomes "Penney's", never *"Penney" (which I've never heard anyone use). For certain other stores, for instance "Walmart" and "Target" I'd never add the "'s".
Travis   Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:42 am GMT
The dialect here in Milwaukee has that for a local chain named "George Webb", which *always* becomes "George Webb's" or "Webb's", as well as "Blockbuster" and "JC Penney", which become "Blockbuster's" and "JC Penney's". Like with you, that never occurs with "Walmart" or "Target". However, there is no "Eckard" or "Krystal" here, so that does not occur with such one way or another here in the first place.
Skippy   Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:17 am GMT
This is not the case in Southern American English... I went to San Diego and they didn't have a Sonic (Southern American burger store) but there was one an hour and a half north that my friend and I would always go to... Anyway, another friend (from San Diego, Poway to be exact) always wanted to join us when we would go to "Sonic's" and we always corrected him... I had never heard this before I got to San Diego... But my other friend was from Orange County and new better... So I don't know what geographic region this is particular of.
Travis   Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:40 am GMT
"Sonic's" is another similar form that shows up here, even though there are none of them in Wisconsin (or even northern Illinois) to begin with.
Dude Who Knows   Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:33 am GMT
I've never heard anyone say "Blockbluster's" personally, it's always been just "Blockbuster" to me.
DJ   Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:57 am GMT
In England, Tesco (the largest supermarket) is usually called Tesco's. This usage comes from the time when most stores were family-owned.