Which English-speaking city is most culturally diverse?

Guest   Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:31 am GMT
95% world population is racist by nature. They can not help it.
NIK   Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:12 am GMT
>>Are you not enduring/suffering/enjoying (select the most appropriate word here) a huge influx of Latinos over there, with Mexico just down the road, so to speak? <<
These words from Damian in Edinburgh sound racist, don't they? Just let antimooners judge.
Guest   Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 pm GMT
I'm not agree with some who say that cultural diversity is good. In many countries like Japan there is not cultural diversity, or it's is very low, and that does not make this country worse. I think that cultural diversity brings many problems and social tensions.
Guest   Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:35 pm GMT
<<No matter how diverse or otherwise your city may be just don't name any teddy bears Mohammed...or Muhammed .....or else you may find yourself in the jug.>>

Can you please write above post in simple and plain language? I did not get your point.
Travis   Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:00 pm GMT
>>Can you please write above post in simple and plain language? I did not get your point.<<

He was referring to an incident in Sudan where a teacher from the UK was arrested and protesters have been calling for their death after the teacher named a teddy bear in class Muhammad after suggestions for names by students. Or in other words, don't piss off any Islamic fundamentalists... (We all know about things like aftermath of the Jyllands-Posten cartoons of Muhammad and the assassination of Theo van Gogh...).
TLC   Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:59 pm GMT
>>Are you not enduring/suffering/enjoying (select the most appropriate word here) a huge influx of Latinos over there, with Mexico just down the road, so to speak? <<
>>These words from Damian in Edinburgh sound racist, don't they? Just let antimooners judge.<<

The words are only racist if the reader reads racism into it. I believe Damien's intent was to give the reader the option to choose the best word that fits their own sentiments about Mexican immigration. If you feel it's a good thing, choose "enjoying", if it's a bad thing, choose "suffering", and if you're indifferent, choose "enduring". As simple as that! Damien knows it's a very heated and contentious issue in the US, so he's deliberately remaining detached from the issue and having the reader fill in the blanks, so to speak.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:26 pm GMT
TLC: You are spot on and I wasn't going to argue any point in this Forum and nor do I intend to. If people wish to interpret the way I set out my posts differently to my intended meaning then that is their prerogative!

I am only deliberately "racist" when it involves my English friends (of which I have quite a fair wee number now and very good mates they are too!) and even then it is invariably in jest - most of the time anyway! Ha! If the truth be known I adore England, but their footie team are mega crap! :-) And we're only marginally better.

That link above to "O Flower of Scoland" - that Scottish sporting anthem of ours (and NOT the official anthem of Scotland, btw) the words in the second verse which is always sung on the terraces are meant sincerely:

"Those days are past now
And in the past they must remain......" :-)
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:32 pm GMT
I forgot to say thanks, TLC! I owe you one.......try our 80 Shilling - it's ace. :-)
NIK   Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:28 am GMT
>>Damian's been around here long enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he could have phrased that sentence better<<
A criminal suspect can be a nice man with clean record before he commits a crime.
NIK   Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:38 am GMT
>>The words are only racist if the reader reads racism into it.I believe Damien's intent was to give the reader the option to choose the best word that fits their own sentiments about Mexican immigration.<<

Words do talk for themselves! We are not dealing with cold mathematical codes here. The racist vein rings between the lines: >>Are you not enduring/suffering/enjoying (select the most appropriate word here) a huge influx of Latinos over there, with Mexico just down the road, so to speak? <<
NIK   Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:47 am GMT
There are only two kind of racists: the overt ones and the covert ones. Damian in Edinburgh falls into the covert type.
Raghav   Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:47 am GMT
>> Words do talk for themselves! We are not dealing with cold mathematical codes here. The racist vein rings between the lines <<

Surely not; it's obvious he's just referring to the immigration controversy in the US, and acknowledging that a lot of Californians are opposed to the surge of immigration in the last couple of decades. (And for the record, I'm not one of them. I choose "enjoying.")

We've had real racists on this forum (like that paleoconservative bloke, DJ). Damien's clearly not one of them, and all this is just a digression anyway.
NIK   Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am GMT
Am I insulting Damian or any other members?
I am just stating a simple fact derived from a piece of racially-offesive talk.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:25 am GMT
Forget it now, guys - I assure you - no offence taken on my part at all! The issue of immigration is probably just as much an issue here in the UK but not so much racist in character - much more from the viewpoint of ever more people flowing into a comparatively tiny island nation already pretty crowded anyway, and concerns over housing, the straining of resources and social services and too many people taking advantage of free health services without having contributed much or in fact anything at all in the first place.

And yes, we have digressed from the topic in hand, have we not? Most developed countries are pretty diverse now anyway, from a cultural standpoint. And diversity does make life interesting in many ways. There are very few communities, if any at all, in the UK now which comprise solely of native born Brits. I don't think you'd find even one - not even in the remotest parts of the Highlands and Islands here in Scotland! Eg: The hotels and restaurants in Stornoway, up there on the Isle of Lewis in the Western Isles where I used to go with my parents every year until I was in my mid teens or so, now seem to be staffed by Poles or other nationals, mainly from Eastern Europe. Down in Lincolnshire, England, the local police force is now organising lessons in basic Polish for all its frontline officers, and roadsigns in Polish are appearing here and there on UK roads.

As long as they don't expect us to switch over to driving on the right (EEK!) then there's nae probs as far as most of us are concerned! :-)